Keg Cleaning with Caustic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenghali

Reaction score
i am ready to keg for my first time and was wondering if caustic cleaning solution will break apart my steel lined kegs, as it did my strainer?

I use industrial strength caustic based cleaning solutions at work. The only way it would damage them is if you left it in for an extended period of time.

Sodium Hydroxide and Potassium Hydroxide based caustics will not harm stainless. Bleach solutions, though will pit it, so if you have to use bleach, do it quickly and rinse well after.

Cheers

Caustic soda or caustic lye is a commercially available sodium Hydroxide. people use it in soap making and in homemade biodiesel production.

Caustics clean very well, pharmaceutical industry swears by them, because they destroy the proteins and fats that the molecular level and rinse clean very easily. They're also dangerous to use because they'll do the same to your skin. Wear gloves and rinse immediately if you splash on yourself. I'd recommend those precautions for any cleaner you're going to use, though.

Caustic soda or caustic lye is a commercially available sodium Hydroxide. people use it in soap making and in homemade biodiesel production.

Caustics clean very well, pharmaceutical industry swears by them, because they destroy the proteins and fats that the molecular level and rinse clean very easily. They're also dangerous to use because they'll do the same to your skin. Wear gloves and rinse immediately if you splash on yourself. I'd recommend those precautions for any cleaner you're going to use, though.

+1 Both NaOH and KOH are aggressive on soft metals. If you go that route(I wouldn't) make sure that you don't use them with soft metals; i.e. aluminum pots.

IMO, a good soak in hot water and Oxyclean will do the trick for most soils. Some other cleaners to have at your disposal might include a citrus solvent (d-limonene), and PBW. If you use PBW, make sure to incorporate a complete, thorough rinse.

When I use the caustic I always keep a small container of Iodophor handy in case I get some on my hands.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=parfr_d5wdY]YouTube - Fight Club - Chemical Burn Scene[/ame]

That is an exciting clip but wildly inaccurate. I have come in contact with a variety of acids and sodium hydroxide. Caustic doesn't work that fast. Sulfuric acid will raise a welt on you pretty quick, nitric acid will turn you yellow pretty much on contact and both will begin disassembling you on contact. It just doesn't work as fast as in the movies. A good splash of acetic acid in high concentration will clear a room in a town minute though.
The mixing of strong acids and bases can get exciting quick too.

It's tough to beat PBW. The stuff works wonderfully and is environmentally safe.

BTW, I have a stainless coffee carafe and I filled it with hot water, added a tablespoon of PBW and let it soak for a couple hours. It used to be almost black on the inside, but now it is like brand new, shiny stainless.

Just remember, it is about 1/8 a cup or 2 Tablespoons per gallon.

Sounds like over kill, but wear safety glasses and gloves if you use caustic. Great cleaner for SS....just not great in your eyes or skin. Especially eyes!!!

Back