Popped Fermenter Lid - Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstatepike

Reaction score
I just went into my guest bathroom where I have 3 batches fermenting away and noticed the thick smell of fermenting beer. My first thought was that one of them had started back up again vigorously, but upon further inspection I discovered the lid to my Christmas ale had completely popped it's seal. :mad: About 36 hours ago I took a SG reading and I am almost 100% positive I sealed the lid up, but now I am not sure.

I took a look inside and saw that the krausen was gone, but there where lot's of tiny floating white spots that look suspicious to me, check out the link below for a pic.

Take a look here

I'm sure it's nothing, but if there is a problem I want to brew a replacement batch right way. Thoughts? Could this be an infection? Thanks for the help.

Ahhhh! It's ruined! J/K. You should be fine. Just close your eyes (or keep the lid on) for the next 7 days at least.

Not an infection. Just the left over remnants of the krausen and off gassing. The fermenting wort will have a layer of CO2 on the top of the beer that will keep air out. You will not have a problem as long as nothing dropped in there.

Danger, don't drink it.. send it to me for analysis.
timg

Well you just joined the official ranks of homebrewers!!! :mug:

Oh, don't send the ruined beer to any of them, they're posers...

beerinspectorcard_copy.jpg

I'm the real deal. :D

Back