plans for a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcar

Reaction score
I love a good stout and don't want to ruin one, but i also want to experiment. My aim is to get a really nice chocolaty stout with some nice caramel flavoring and...mint? I want to mint to be very undertone and capture more of the savoury peppery-ness and not so much the "mint". I would also like this stout to be a little bit sweeter (not by much though). Any ideas on how to get me started on this dirty girl stout?

I used fresh mint in a blonde ale before. It gave a "green" freshness to the beer. I wouldnt describe it is "pepperminty" which is not what we were going for either. I added it to the last few minutes of the boil (don't remember how much though).

I'd think your best bet would be to get some mint extract or flavoring and add it at bottling just to taste. Mint can easily overpower things, so I'd want to be really careful with it.

I agree with adding it as an extract...just a small amount at bottling to give it a hint of flavor. I have added some of the 4oz bottles of fruit extract to 5 gallon batches at bottling and you could really taste the flavor.

Back