Chocolate Cherry Hootie Dog Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SewerRanger

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP004 - Irish Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
about 46.78
Color
maybe 102
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 70F
3.3# Liquid Malt Extract (Amber)
3# Dry Malt Extract (Dark)
.75# American Chocolate Malt
.25# Roasted Barely
.5#Dextrose

2oz Willamete Hops (5.8%)
1oz Casade Hops (6%)

2oz 100% cocoa baking chocolate
4oz cherry extract

steep Chocolate Malt and Roasted Barley @ 170 for 20 minutes. After hot break add the chocolate and willamete hops. After 45 minutes add cascade hops.

This turned out to be a decent stout but not quite what I wanted. The beer has a decent cherry and chocolate nose but the flavors don't stand out quite as much as I wanted. I think next time I'm going to use much more chocolate (about 22oz) and real cherries instead of the extract. The beer has a slight medicinal taste that I think is caused by the extract. I'll post back with the results from that.

Made another batch of this over the weekend. This time I'm going for a massive chocolate flavor and added 22 oz of chocolate. Will post how this turns out.

I have not made any stouts yet, because I only enjoy them when the snow is falling. I have been looking for a stout though to take back home for the upcoming Holidays and stubbled upon your reciepe, it sounds like a perfect treat for the holidays. Keep me posted on your progression, cause I would really like to make one for the occasion.

In the Bottle : ***** Biting British Bitter

Keg: Monkey Paw Brown Ale

I could never get the cherry flavor to work out the way I wanted. The second batch (22oz of chocolate) turned out really good. I'll dig through my notes to find my final recipe.

Did you ever happen across your final recipe. This one sounds like something I'd like to brew up before the temps down here start rising again. Down here in LA, winter is just about over by the beginning of March.

I just kind of stuck with this one (with the massive amounts of chocolate). It tasted good enough that I gave up on the cherry flavor.

I'm thinking of taking this recipe and adding mint to it instead of cherry. Are you happy with the results of using 22oz of chocolate? Was it too much, or not enough? it seems like with that much chocolate it would end up sinking to the bottom of the bottles or keg. Did you experience that at all? What would you change about this recipe if you did it again?

I'm thinking of taking this recipe and adding mint to it instead of cherry. Are you happy with the results of using 22oz of chocolate? Was it too much, or not enough? it seems like with that much chocolate it would end up sinking to the bottom of the bottles or keg. Did you experience that at all? What would you change about this recipe if you did it again?
I got 22oz by scaling the amount of chocolate I normally make my chocolate milk with to a 5 gallon batch. Most of it stays in the wort pot, but a little bit does make it all the way to the secondary but I've yet to see any in the bottle. I wouldn't change anything at this point. I think it's pretty good just the way it is.

22 oz in chocolate bars. 3 tbsps of cocoa is about 1 oz of chocolate bar. Remember you're working with 5 gallons of liquid.

22 oz in chocolate bars. 3 tbsps of cocoa is about 1 oz of chocolate bar. Remember you're working with 5 gallons of liquid.

Cocoa is nearly pure chocolate. It's not equal ounce by ounce to a chocolate bar. By that logic, you could add 22 oz of chocolate extract and expect it to be the same.

MarshyTheKid said:
Are you using chocolate milk mix? Or actual 100% cocoa?
I'm using 100% baking chocolate like the recipe says.

ChshreCat said:
Cocoa is nearly pure chocolate. It's not equal ounce by ounce to a chocolate bar. By that logic, you could add 22 oz of chocolate extract and expect it to be the same.
100% cocoa baking chocolate is just that, 100% cocoa in bar form. Haven't you ever baked anything before? You can substitute 3 tblsps of cocoa + 1 tblsp of oil for 1 oz of chocolate. You need to add the oil when baking to substitute the natural oils that are left in the bar but not in the powder.

I'm using 100% baking chocolate like the recipe says.

100% cocoa baking chocolate is just that, 100% cocoa in bar form. Haven't you ever baked anything before? You can substitute 3 tblsps of cocoa + 1 tblsp of oil for 1 oz of chocolate. You need to add the oil when baking to substitute the natural oils that are left in the bar but not in the powder.

Ahh, my mind was on the track that you were using cocoa in the tinned powdered form. 22oz would be one radical amount if you were. LOL

How was your head? Did the oil in the bakers chocolate cause you any problems?

Doesn't seem to have. I don't get a whole heaping load of head, but I do get a little bit. For some reason that just sounds wrong.

This sounds really interesting. I just started A.G. brewing and I think this will be either next or second in my queue. How is the new batch going?
~Phillip

just to be sure before i order ingredients. the dextrine-carapils discussion refers to the 'dextrose' listed in the recipe? all 3 of them being the same thing, correct? sorry.

just to be sure before i order ingredients. the dextrine-carapils discussion refers to the 'dextrose' listed in the recipe? all 3 of them being the same thing, correct? sorry.
Yes, but only because I spelt Dextrin as Dextrose. In real life Dextrose (you probably know it as glucose) and Dextrin are different.

Back