alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dqeuvtcxotaa

what's considered to be high alcohol content for mead? is there a range?
i.e.
<10% low
10-14% med
>14% high

10%+ I'd say. Depends on how you want it. I've seen recipes with OG's as low as 1.090 and as high as 1.150.

I have seen mead with 20%ABV and I've had some. But 12% is probably higher than average.

Most of the meads I've made average between 14 - 18 %. So much depends on how much fermentables you have and what types of yeast you use. When it comes to meads, 12% is definitely on the low side.

YMMV - GL63

20% is as high as you'll get ,and that's with champagne yeast, and careful nutrient additions (and feedign honey) to keep it going.

Most meads are going to fall between 12-18% ABV.
the lower end would be more like your dessert meads...lots of sweetness, and a low attenuating yeast used.

there's room for a lot of variation in the style.

homebrewer_99 said:
I make my meads between 7-8% because I really don't drink to get drunk.:mug:
Hummm....Thats what I'll tell SWMBO!
Really...I agree, but there are things, and I'll let you know about mead, that just don't taste right without the alcohol. I have tried to make a copule of 3.??% meads, and they suck Big Time. They all have this nasty wet cardboard smell and taste that I can only attribute to LOW alcohol content.

Back