Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a three-month recipe if you count reading the thread.

Love that. So true. I guess it is popular for a reason. Just got back from a family Easter dinner and everyone who tried my JAOM really liked it. A first for my family and the other meads I have made.

Waiting for an available demijohn. Next weekend the Belgium Dark should be ready for bottling, so I could launch a JAOM within a week! Only need an orange, rest is in the house.

This may be answered elsewhere in the thread, but...

I'm a couple weeks away from 2 months in the primary.

The mead is already clearing out nicely, but I'm game to leave it the full 2 months.

At the 2 month mark, do I want to rack to a new gallon jug? Or go right to bottles? What's the preferred method?

And if I end up racking to a jug and bulk aging, should I be topping up that jug to get rid of most of the headspace? If so... with what? Just boiled/cooled water? In the primary, it's full up to within a couple inches of the airlock, but after I rack off the goop and fruit, there will be significant headspace.

JAOM in demijohn 'Runaround', few things differ from the original:
-the yeast, it's a local bread yeast, not the brand mentioned in the recipe
-the raisins were cut in half, so my daughter (and partner in crime) could contribute too
-because of the loss of a bit of orange due to being too large for the neck, I added a slice of a 16th, for compensation, from second orange
The rest of that orange (15/16th) were consequently consumed by juniorette.
Gravity was off the scale, 1130? 1135? The silicon tube did not quite fit in the cork so I did something with saran wrap and 2 elastic bands (it won't do **** but it kept SWMBO quiet).

And now we wait :)

20170506_163227_HDR.jpg

20170506_170820_HDR.jpg

20170506_171822_HDR.jpg

This may be answered elsewhere in the thread, but...

I'm a couple weeks away from 2 months in the primary.

The mead is already clearing out nicely, but I'm game to leave it the full 2 months.

At the 2 month mark, do I want to rack to a new gallon jug? Or go right to bottles? What's the preferred method?

And if I end up racking to a jug and bulk aging, should I be topping up that jug to get rid of most of the headspace? If so... with what? Just boiled/cooled water? In the primary, it's full up to within a couple inches of the airlock, but after I rack off the goop and fruit, there will be significant headspace.

Some people use sanitised glass marbles (so I've read somewhere, I think). I don't know how and also wether it works. But it's the closest to the recipe I can recall.

Thanks for that suggestion. I think to keep things simple, once it's ready I'll just put it into bottles. :)

On that note, my JAOM is coming along nicely (I think anyways) lol.

I'm 10 days shy of 2 months in the primary.

It's cleared up pretty nicely. Well... it WAS pretty dang clear up until a few days ago. I've got the jug stored on the pantry top shelf, and while moving a big old bag of flour I accidentally knocked the jug. It didn't tip over, but it came darn close, gave the bottle a big ol' shake. Oops!

So it clouded all up, of course.

Now, a few days later, it's pretty clear again. :)

Still not quite newspaper clear, but getting close. The jug is green glass so it is a little tough to gauge exactly the clarity.

Only a single orange piece has fallen so far, the rest are still suspended on a blanket of bubbles at the top. And if I shine a light behind the jug I can still see a lot of tiny little bubbles constantly rising. Amazing to me that this is still working away, over 6 weeks later... with bread yeast! =O

Hopefully the next couple weeks will see the bubbling stop, allowing the fruit to drop, and I'll be ready to rock for bottling.

I'm a little afraid of the bottling process... I don't have a small enough auto-siphon to fit in the jug so will be doing it the old fashioned way, just a tube and cane (or maybe just a tube, not sure yet) trying as best I can to not disturb the lees in the process.

If it's clear the yeast is basically done. The bubbles are pure CO2 that won't dissolve because the mead is saturated with CO2.
Once it was clear I moved mine to a colder ambient (increasing the CO2 capacity of the mead) and the fruit dropped -- all but a few raisins. I'm sure if I moved it to warm and back to cold they would all drop. The amount of ambient temperature variance likely accounts for people's differing times for the fruit dropping.

As far as bottling, I'm planning to rack directly to bottles and if it starts to get cloudy I'll rack to a secondary to let it settle again for however long it takes to clear.

@Gerrit LOL nice improvisational airlock! :)
Gravity readings might calculate a poor approximation of the ABV because the OG doesn't account for all the sugar in the orange and raisins.

Finally got around to attach a proper airlock: exchanged cork-and-tube for cork-and-airlock like Indiana Jones :rockin:
The cork from the tube had a VERY typical smell, very orangey, very promising. I think I gonna need a bigger demi!

And it's bubbling nice and easy: https://goo.gl/photos/vhVhqfpd5UkNGe2j6

I accidentally only added 3lbs of honey instead of 3.5. Will this ferment dry then? I want a sweeter mead. If it isn't sweet enough, could I rack it into a secondary with the extra honey and let it resettle or would that mess it up? XP

Just started a 3 gal batch 2hr ago. 72degreeish
2 cloves

Pinch of nutmeg
3 oranges (no peel)
3 mini boxes of raisins
10lbs of honey (not cheap)
Glacier water
1 1/2 teaspoon bread yeast..
I'm seeing good activity, but my honey has separated to the bottom.. will this be ok?

2 cloves

Pinch of nutmeg
3 oranges (no peel)
3 mini boxes of raisins
Glacier water
I'm seeing good activity, but my honey has separated to the bottom.. will this be ok?

Yup, this is fine. I've done many batches and maybe 1 or 2 didn’t separate. The rest have all separated no matter how well they were originally shaken. The yeast will power right through it. It's actually pretty cool to watch the yeast make it's way down and get to the honey as it progresses. Fun to see. Can you post pictures?

2 cloves

Pinch of nutmeg
3 oranges (no peel)
3 mini boxes of raisins
Glacier water

It didn't happen with my gallon of JAOM, but I recently started a 2-gallon run of strawberry melomel and the honey went straight to the bottom. Once the yeast starts settling downward, it'll find it.;)

Very fun to watch. I can see now it working some honey up. This bread yeast is doing work lol making me worry about my blow off tube

14948995835551687421185.jpg

IMG_20170515_134005217.jpg

A bit off topic: I was looking the other weekend for a cork that would fit the silicon hose for blowoff purposes, and the nice lady told me (in a rather stern way), that if I needed a hose for that, I prolly overfilled it. I couldn't disagree with her.
So, is there any consensus about the application of blowoff setups?

I like them for when your pitching something that will stir up good, quick fermentation . Then exchange for a sanitized air lock when it dies down in a day or two.

Very fun to watch. I can see now it working some honey up. This bread yeast is doing work lol making me worry about my blow off tube

Nice....after a few days, the yeast will be so active that you'll get a "current" flowing.

When my batches are in full action, the cinnamon stick will actually drift around from side to side and top to bottom and swirl around the carboy.

Today is two months since throwing my batch together.

Only a bit of fruit gas fallen, but it is fairly clear.

It's in a green jug, and some sediment has clung on to the sides of the jug inside, so it's not looking as clear as other photos I've seen here.

The photo makes it look more murky than it is I think, as I can read the cereal box just fine through the mead.

Think I'm OK to rack to a bottling bucket and bottle this, or should I wait some more?

IMG_2229.jpg

Mothman - that is pretty. I would bottle that. My last two batches have refused to clean. My present one is working in 9 months and is still cloudy. So I think yours looks great.

Today is two months since throwing my batch together.

Only a bit of fruit gas fallen, but it is fairly clear.

It's in a green jug, and some sediment has clung on to the sides of the jug inside, so it's not looking as clear as other photos I've seen here.

The photo makes it look more murky than it is I think, as I can read the cereal box just fine through the mead.

Think I'm OK to rack to a bottling bucket and bottle this, or should I wait some more?

I'd rack it to a clear jug if you can, and see if it clears a bit more without the lees and fruit. You'll be tempted to siphon off as much as you can get, and that will likely pick up a bit of lees too.

Be aware that bread yeast is very light and fluffy and easily disturbed, if you move the carboy you'll kick up sediment and need to wait a few days before racking.

As an example of what people can expect, here's a photo record of my first JAOM. Temperature matters in timing, mine was a summer brew starting on July 4th.

1 day after pitching:

19221678829_74a026e306_z.jpg

30 days:

19580049333_b166ed2cbc_z.jpg

At 65 days:

21217045715_38c80dfbd8_z.jpg

Racked to secondary, 70 days. Yield from 1 gallon was 4 wine bottles:

20742966783_4c880de2cf_z.jpg

Bottled it a week later. Mead!

21486665490_330da0a329_z.jpg

I wrapped a damp towel around my jug to cool it a bit.and now, a day later, most of the fruit has dropped.

Will bottle as soon as life gives me a bit of time to get 'er done.

Bottled my Joe's Ancient tonight.

Two months + 1 day in primary, and all but one orange dropped overnight last night, nice and clear.

I was afraid of racking it, that I'd end up with a load of yeast schmutz, but it actually went really smoothly.

I used my auto-siphon (just barely fits in the gallon jug neck), and started an inch or so above the lees and fruit, but realized I'd be leaving behind a lot of goodness, so very gently dropped the siphon right down on top of the lees/fruit, and it must have luckily landed right on an orange peel, because I found a nice solid seat for the siphon, and got all but the last little bit (maybe a cup), and only a tiny, tiny amount of debris made it into the bottling bucket.

I got 4 full bomber bottles full, to put away, plus another about 1/2 full, which I put in the fridge to enjoy over the next number of days.

I've only ever tried mead once before, many years ago, and recall not enjoying it.

I don't know what mead is supposed to taste like, but this is very drinkable, right out of primary. It smells and tastes very slightly hot, but not extremely so. The orange and spice is coming through quite strong, but also balanced against the sweetness.

Overall I'm very happy with my first attempt at mead, and I'm interested to see how these taste after some months in the bottle.

On that note, should these be stored/aged at room temperature? I could put them in our crawl space which is significantly cooler, maybe around 55F or so.

Photo 2017-05-17, 9 20 01 PM.jpg

Photo 2017-05-17, 9 20 08 PM.jpg

On that note, should these be stored/aged at room temperature? I could put them in our crawl space which is significantly cooler, maybe around 55F or so.

I treat mine like wine. I put it in a cool dark place and leave it. JAOM seems to age well and the 2013 I am drinking now is quite good. I had some mojito mead that the mint and lime flavors faded rather fast to aging it was not a good thing.

I also make a Christmas mead with nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon and that seems to age Ok but the most I have done is two years. I worry the spice might fade after that.

I treat mine like wine. I put it in a cool dark place and leave it. JAOM seems to age well and the 2013 I am drinking now is quite good. I had some mojito mead that the mint and lime flavors faded rather fast to aging it was not a good thing.

I also make a Christmas mead with nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon and that seems to age Ok but the most I have done is two years. I worry the spice might fade after that.

Thanks, I'll move it down into the cool crawl space.

Just "bottled" my first gallon last weekend. Started it Dec 1, 2012. I filtered it through coffee filters 3 times to remove any solids. Im not a wine drinker so Im not sure how this is. It tastes "hot" to me. I vacuum sealed the jars with a FoodSaver and Im going to let it sit a couple months now.

Do you think it will be safe to drink over 4 years later? Its been sitting on a dark shelf, still in the same bottles...

Do you think it will be safe to drink over 4 years later? Its been sitting on a dark shelf, still in the same bottles...

Definitely not. I recommend you send it all to me for proper disposal.

Depending on how your yeast performed, you should have upward of 10% alcohol. That is a pretty good preservative. It will be fine but you probably don't want to chance it, thus the first two sentences.

I made this for the first time 3.5 weeks ago. I don't think my fermentation space has been warm enough (probably not over 16C), seems to have been very little activity.

I've only got 4 demis, 2 of which are tied up with what I assume is a failing batch of mead. Can I repitch more yeast (just dump in and shake?) if I move it somewhere warmer? I've got an aquarium heater that I should be able to use to keep the temp anywhere between 18-28C.

FWIW, I am doing a side-by-side comparison between Fleischmann's and regular bread yeast (I am in Australia and the Fleischmann's is normally unavailable, ordered it from the US).

I made this for the first time 3.5 weeks ago. I don't think my fermentation space has been warm enough (probably not over 16C), seems to have been very little activity.

I've only got 4 demis, 2 of which are tied up with what I assume is a failing batch of mead. Can I repitch more yeast (just dump in and shake?) if I move it somewhere warmer? I've got an aquarium heater that I should be able to use to keep the temp anywhere between 18-28C.

FWIW, I am doing a side-by-side comparison between Fleischmann's and regular bread yeast (I am in Australia and the Fleischmann's is normally unavailable, ordered it from the US).

The yeast if probably just going slow but not dead. I would use the heater and get it warmed up to 20C or so and give it a few days. I bet it takes off.

Just bottled my first batch of JAOM after 2 months 18 days in the primary.

I followed the recipe exactly (including fermentation temp around 74-78 F).
It cleared up nicely after maybe 2-3 weeks of fermentation and the fruit dropped quite quickly after I moved it to a slightly cooler temperature (64-68 F).

I racked directly from the carboy into clear 6oz glass bottles (with an auto-siphon) and this worked very well. Once it started to get cloudy toward the very bottom I put the remainder in a glass jar in the fridge to try to salvage it later.

I was afraid there would be too much pith, cinnamon, clove or that it may be too sweet. I had only a small taste when I bottled but I must say I was extremely pleased with how well it came out. Not overly sweet, nice honey and orange with only a light taste of the spice blend. I put in all the pith but couldn't really taste it -- maybe I got lucky with the orange I used. It is very drinkable but I will still be aging it for a while to see how it improves over time (that's what everyone says anyway).

Any idea of what the alcohol tolerance of the Fleishmann's yeast is? I'd be curious to know the ABV. I wouldn't really trust gravity readings because they don't account for the sugar in the fruit extracted during fermentation.
rlmiller10, how did you decide it's probably 10%? A simple experiment would be to put some of the yeast in different alcohol concentrations with sugar and see if the yeast start fermentation.

Thanks everyone. I will probably make this again in the future.

Back