High Gravity Fermentation Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ales4Ever

Reaction score
I am making a high gravity Trappist inspired brew, that is currently in my primary. I used a liquid yeast (Trappist High Gravity) and pitched it about 6 days ago.

Since I had no experince with making a big beer like this before, I made the mistake of not making a starter, as there was a lag time of 30 hours before any visable signs of fermentation took place.

Well, to say the least, fermentation took off(!). When should I expect my fermentation lock to stop bubbling? It bubbles now, every 25 seconds. Do these types of brews take a real long time in the primary?

The only way that you can be sure is to take gravity readings. Identical gravity readings on back to back days means that it's ready to be transferred.

Ales4Ever said:
I am making a high gravity Trappist inspired brew, that is currently in my primary. I used a liquid yeast (Trappist High Gravity) and pitched it about 6 days ago.

Since I had no experince with making a big beer like this before, I made the mistake of not making a starter, as there was a lag time of 30 hours before any visable signs of fermentation took place.

Well, to say the least, fermentation took off(!). When should I expect my fermentation lock to stop bubbling? It bubbles now, every 25 seconds. Do these types of brews take a real long time in the primary?

Based on style, your SG was probably around 70 to 80 and you're aiming for a FG of 18 to 11. Without knowing the fermentation temp, which is really important for that style of beer, I would say it should be in primary for atleast three weeks.

Thank you both for your responses!

Here was my recipe:

6.6 pounds extra light Northern Brewer

3.3 pounds light Northern Brewer

1/2 pound Crystal Malt (40L)

1/2 pound Castle

1/2 pound Briess Pale Malt

1 oz Magnum (boiling)

1 oz Saaz

1oz Saaz (dry hop)

In my infinate wisdom, I did not take an inital hydrometer reading.......I will take one tommorrow and compare it to one taken 3 days from then. Is it typical for high gravity brews to be in the primary fora longer period of time?

Oh....the temps have been 69-75 degrees

Sometimes they take longer, but there's no absolute rule here. Sometimes my lower OG brews take 10 days to finish and sometimes my high OG brews take 4 days. Just let it be, don't worry about it, and check your gravitah.

Back