Adding DME after 10 days to boost gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggator

Reaction score
I brewed a BIAB 2.5 gallon mild last Sunday. I forgot to take out my tun deadspace in brewsmith and ended missing my gravity by 6 points. I had no DME to boost the gravity so I pitched the yeast. I picked up some DME last night at my local shop

Will adding some DME this late in the game work? Fermentation is just about complete.

In the future, take a temp-adjusted OG reading post boil. If you are significantly off of expected OG, just boil a little bit longer. That's a much better way to keep your recipe balance intact.

Hey maggator. Adding DME will initiate an additional primary fermentation phase and bring your gravity closer to what you are looking for. Think of it as almost using a sugar adjunct. There are a few things you will need to take into account though. By adding more malt you will be shifting your malt to bitterness ratio in a manner which will be difficult to calculate due to adding additional wort which has not had any of the hop oils. Also because you are re initiating active fermentation you will need to allow it additional time to run its course.

Thanks everyone. Should I bitter the addition with a clean bittering hop that will closely match my intended IBUs?

I thought able adding dextrose but I don't want to dry out a mild.

It's only going to be 1/2 # of DME.

Thanks everyone. Should I bitter the addition with a clean bittering hop that will closely match my intended IBUs?

no, you'd be making it worse. if you under-shot your OG, in theory you had more hop utilization and thus higher IBUs to begin with.

What's an appropriate amount of water to dilute the DME in? I'm going to use .55 pounds.

EineProsit said:
.55 lbs is not woorth the risk of oxidation am I wrong?

Since the beer is still fermenting oxidation is not an issue

You only want to use enough water to dissolve the DME

Back