SMaSH Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abf303

Reaction score
I was thinking of brewing a SMaSH recipe tomorrow using Marris Otter and Cascade.

it will be a 6.5 gallon batch and was shooting for a O.G. of 1.053 and around 33 IBU's.

how does my recipe look? i think i have it dialed in but need a second opinion on it.

60 min mash @ 151
90 min boil

12.5 LB Marris Otter
1.5 oz Cascade @ First Wort Hop
1.75 oz Cascade @ 25 min
1.75 oz Cascade @ 5 min

1.5 oz Cascade @ Dry hop for 7 days

i will also be using WLP007 for my yeast

With that attenuative a yeast, I'd mash higher, but you won't know if that would be a good idea until you brew it and taste it.

Why the 25 minute hop addition?? You'll get more bittering from it than any flavor (after 15-20 minutes in the boil you won't get much flavor from it). I'd move it to either 15 or 20 minutes.

Personally, I don't care for cascade hops. Maybe it's due to how a local brew pub uses them in pretty much everything, so that's all you taste for hops. Plus, they tend to over-hop the batches (IMO).

I did a MO SMaSH with EKG and it came out great. I brewed a second batch (10 gallons) so that I could fill three kegs (3 gallon kegs) instead of just two. I might brew it as my first batch in my new place (planning to move before end of August) so that I have enough on hand.

sweet, thanks for the replies.

ok ill bump up my mash to 154 and move the 25 min hop addition to 15 min.

Thanks again guys now im ready for the brew day

Back