Brutal Bitter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woosterhoot

Reaction score
I love Rogue's Brutal Bitter and decided it would be a great beer for the late DME addition method that I learned on the website. I just drank one after 10 days of carbing and it is extremely good with great colour. Not as bitter as the brutal bitter ( which my sweet wife and brew assistant is very happy about) but the same citrusy flavor of the crystal hops shines through. Brutal Bitter uses all Crystal hops according to Rogues website, I didn't.
1 lb of Crystal malt 10 lovibond steeps 30 min
88 oz of dme, 22 added at beginning of boil and rest at flame out.
1 oz of amarillo 60
1 oz of crystal 60
1 oz of crystal 20
2 oz of hallertauer 2 min
Wyeast American Ale II
2 teas of gypsum 60 min
1 tea of irish moss at last 15 min.
Enjoy.

I think that I decided on crystal because I thought I could get the colour lighter, which was part of the motivation to do the late addition. That's a good thought though because I would like to do a partial mash or all grain version and I could try it with the caravienne or cara wheat

Bike N Brew said:
I've got an all-grain version in primary right now. I'll post it if it turns out any good :D
That would be great. The beer turned out to be great it's only two weeks old and i'd say its my best brew to date. My IBU'S are not near what Rouge's is but the general taste is very similar. I'd like to know how your all grain goes and I can try to mimic it.

Back