Pubs/Breweries in Boston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnog

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Boston for a week and I was wondering if anyone knew of good beer related places to visit. Another thread mentioned the Harpoon Brewery and the Cambridge Brewing company. Anything else?

I checked beermapping.com, but couldn't tell what was good and what wasn't.

ryser2k said:
I saw a show... Sunset Grill and Tap has like 120 beers on tap... not even exaggerating...

The Sunset Grill is a good place. Just a heads up for you, sometimes their beer ain't so fresh. I've had a few bottles there that were not so fresh. I'm not knocking the place. It is fun, and the food is decent, but if you really want some great beer and food I would recommend Redbones. The bottle selection isn't as impressive as the sunset Grill, but the beer at Redbones is ALWAYS fresh, and the bbq super tasty!:rockin:

The Beerworks is also a treat. I like the one by Fenway, and if you are over near Fenway then consider checking out Cornwalls, and Bukowski's . Bukowski's has a great bottle selection, and the beerworks brews some superb beer.

When you are getting over the hangover from enjoying thes great beer places, I would recommend going to the super Touristy Union Oyster House for a bloody mary or Guiness and some Oysters. Touristy but worth it IMHO.

Thanks guys. I now have several places I can try.

I think I was at beerworks last time I was in Boston. Isn't that the place that puts blueberries and watermelon into their beers?

Go to the Bell in Hand tavern, right next to the Union Oyster House. It's kind of a dive bar, sorta, but it's a place where John Hancock and Sam Adams, etc. used to drink -- I think of it as the revolutionary dudes' dive bar...
If you want to go to the best dive bar in Boston, and you're near Fenway, seek out TC's Lounge -- it's on Haviland Street - near the intersection of Boyleston and Mass Ave, near Berkeley School of Music -- great place, friendly crowd -- tell Tony (if he's there, the owner) that Lou sent you.

I'm seconding these, but they are just good bars and not breweries.
Bukowskis
Bell in Hand - America's oldest continuously run tavern.

Digging this thread up from the grave. I go out to Boston quite a bit and Publick House is the next one on the list in terms of beer bars.

Sunset is on the list as well. Any others I should consider?

It depends, are you looking for great beer or atmosphere? Atmosphere is anything around Fenway Park (Boston Beer Co. has some pretty good beer too) but the other two are awesome bars.

Are you in town tonight? I'll be at the Golden Temple (about 2 restaraunts down) and was actually thinking about going to the publick house for a beer

It depends, are you looking for great beer or atmosphere? Atmosphere is anything around Fenway Park (Boston Beer Co. has some pretty good beer too) but the other two are awesome bars.

Are you in town tonight? I'll be at the Golden Temple (about 2 restaraunts down) and was actually thinking about going to the publick house for a beer

Selection is really driving the choices on this trip more so than anything else. Hence Sunset and Publick House, they both get crazy and the service can be hit or miss but the beer lists are both quite impressive from what I've been told.

I'm in town next week working so I think that I'll take just one night to go out.

BTW, thanks for that PDF John. I'll take a look and see where I've been already.

I lived in MA for two years. Personally i dont think the brew pubs are the way to go. New england is exceptional at two thing. Their seafood and their beer. Do yourself a huge favor. Go to legal seafood and dig in. Then go to a fine liquor store that has a wide variety of beer. You will see a TON of New England micro brews. Some good ones Newport Storm, Anything from Otter Creek/Wolavers (IPA is my all time fav.), Wachusett blue berry with fresh blue berries if you got em, Berkshire Brewery, and lastly Harpoon. Just my two cents.

The Kinsale at Government Center. Don't let the name fool you, its not some cookie cutter irish bar, they serve craft beer! Was there a day ago:

3 Different Smuttynose beers
Stoudts
Allagash
Long Trail
O'Hara's Celtic Stout
Victory Brewing

And a bunch more. Reasonably priced as well!

Sean

Back