110v HWT Heater w/timer. Smart? Safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPB

Reaction score
I am considering something similiar to this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/how-build-5-gal-110v-ebiab-kettle-304914/ for my hot water tank (Thanks Disintegr8tor!).

I have a converted keg and typically prep 13 gallons at around 180 or so degrees. I brew outside (early in the morning) and am looking to speed up the brewing pocess by having the water already heated to temp by the time I wake. How long do you think it would take to heat 13 gallons with one element (2 hours?). Could I connect an element to a christmas light timer...safely? Should I even attempt this?

I plan on using an inline GFCI as well.

Thanks for any input!

If my calcs are right you should be able to raise 13 gal about 47F in 1 hour not figuring heat loss

When I attempt this I'll figure on at least 3 1/2 hours to reach my temps. Thanks for the input it is much appreciated.

I use a timer to start my HLT. The ability to wake up and immediately mash in saves a ton of time. To make it as safe as possible, I use a float switch to shut the element off if the water level gets close to the element to prevent dry firing. I also use an alarm contact on my PID to shut the element off if the temperature gets too high. This protects against the case of a failed SSR.

Back