Splitting batch for kegging/bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreck99

Wrecked Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any issues or considerations when splitting your 5 gallon batch at bottling/kegging time? I'd like to get started kegging soon, but would like to still bottle a few to pass out to friends, etc. Maybe dozen in bottles, rest in keg. Any considerations doing this?

Just bottle from the keg when you need to.

Didn't think of that. So how does that work? I'm guessing at a low psi and add a bit of priming sugar to each bottle? Or does the carbonation stay in tact and it doesn't need to condition any in the bottle. Sorry, still new to all of this.

Thanks Balto for sharing! This will be good for bottling "mid-keg". I think I'm going to buy one! Hopefully it will work with whatever kegerator I pick up. Planning to buy the kegerator and a couple corny kegs in the next week or so.

However, it still seems simpler to me (if you know you're going to want a few bottles to every batch right off the bat) to siphon over a few bottles while filling the keg. Am I missing something? I was figuring you'd siphon out a few bottles, maybe drop in a couple priming tabs to each bottle, then keg the rest.

Thanks Balto for sharing! This will be good for bottling "mid-keg". I think I'm going to buy one! Hopefully it will work with whatever kegerator I pick up. Planning to buy the kegerator and a couple corny kegs in the next week or so.

However, it still seems simpler to me (if you know you're going to want a few bottles to every batch right off the bat) to siphon over a few bottles while filling the keg. Am I missing something? I was figuring you'd siphon out a few bottles, maybe drop in a couple priming tabs to each bottle, then keg the rest.

I have 4 kegs now and just ordered 4 more. I'm coverting a refer now to put my kegs in. I'm going to try both ways. I'm not going to use priming sugar as I'm going to go from primary to keg. Looks like the carbonation drops are the way to go. :ban:

The only downside to pulling off some beer for bottles is that you will have more headspace in the keg that will need to be purged. Which in turn will waste CO2. It's kind of expensive to fill tanks around here so I pinch out every penny I can. I even use empty kegs to purge fresh ones.

I carb everything in the keg. When I want to bottle some, I purge the keg, dial the pressure down to 1-2 psi, push my bottling cane (without the spring tip) up into the plastic faucet and bottle away...it works great, no counter-pressure contraption required. Just don't open the faucet part way, it will foam too much...full open or full closed.

helibrewer said:
I carb everything in the keg. When I want to bottle some, I purge the keg, dial the pressure down to 1-2 psi, push my bottling cane (without the spring tip) up into the plastic faucet and bottle away...it works great, no counter-pressure contraption required. Just don't open the faucet part way, it will foam too much...full open or full closed.

Here here! That's what I do.

So, do the bottles stay carbonated from that point? Or do they need time after you cap them using your method?

They will stay carbonated. I make a five gallon batch of beer, carb it with co2, bottle half and put it on the shelf for friends and what's left in the keg is mine. When I run out in the keg then I drink the bottles if there's any left. The carbonation in the bottles is always very good.

You could also plan on slightly larger batches if you want to bottle some. Bump up your batches by a gallon and you can easily bottle up 10-12 beers and you still have a full keg.

Of course this only works if you have a relatively large fermenter, and is easier if you are making your own recipes (instead of buying kits).

Me personally, I do 10 gallon batches in two seperate fermenters. One goes to keg, the other goes to bottles.

You could also plan on slightly larger batches if you want to bottle some. Bump up your batches by a gallon and you can easily bottle up 10-12 beers and you still have a full keg.

Of course this only works if you have a relatively large fermenter.......

...... or, add a mini fermentor or two like I do. I brew 6 gallons and use a couple half gallon liquor bottles for the extra. After about a week I pour them into the bucket and it is almost full.

I get a full keg and a few bottles every batch. I like the Cooper's drops for carbing the bottles.

Whoo hoo!
This is exciting.
Just checked and seems like my broken cane and picnic tap will work pretty perfect for this. :)

I like the idea of having some bottles to be able to take to a friend's house.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I couldn't find this specific answer...

When you bottle from your keg, how carbonated is it? Can you literally bottle it from the keg, hand it to a friend, and they drink it that night when they get home? Or does it need a couple days?

When you bottle from your keg, how carbonated is it? Can you literally bottle it from the keg, hand it to a friend, and they drink it that night when they get home? Or does it need a couple days?

You got it. That's the beauty of bottling from a keg, you have fully carbed beer (provided you don't knock it all out of the beer) ready to drink, with no sediment.

You got it. That's the beauty of bottling from a keg, you have fully carbed beer (provided you don't knock it all out of the beer) ready to drink, with no sediment.

Sweet. Thanks! My kegerator comes in tomorrow. I can't wait to get started kegging.

I got it from Beer Meister. I spoke to the guy there and had it custom ordered to ensure the tower stays cold, it has all the necessary connections, fits 3 kegs so I can chill an on-deck brew, a dual regulator (basically all the complaints of the sub-par store bought units)...so I shouldn't have to upgrade anything right away or go out and get additional parts. This one looks like a winner, and even comes with 2 corny kegs! We'll see how it works this weekend! I just couldn't see spending $400-$500 on a unit that I'd need to throw $200 at for it to be efficient. I'll eventually be building a bar in my den, and probably work in a custom keezer into that. But I have other house projects that need doing first. I wanted something to start with and didn't mind a little extra cost to get it sooner.

Here's the exact model I ordered.
http://beermeisters.com/product/dua...teel-door-homebrew-value-line-2-kegs-included

Also, flip top bottles work great as mini-growlers. Plus, wouldn't filling a bottle up to the brim and capping be the same as carbing with priming sugar but leaving some headspace? The CO2 has nowhere to go but into the VERY small headspace that you left in the bottle. :drunk:

Back