Sanke Kegs/Keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoMD

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info about where to get empty sanke kegs in the MD/DC/VA area, or at least reccomend a reasonable place online? Seems the distributors are not letting them go. Thanks!

I actually just dealt with this last week. Try calling local breweries, if you have any, or try calling local dive bars. I lucked out by finding one on Craigslist. If you frequent a bar and can get to know a manager, they may sell you one for the price of their deposit.
Worst case scenario, have a party with as many friends as you can and you pay the deposit and split the rest of the cost for a keg and drink it dry!

Haha... Sorry, I should have mentioned the legality of that. Many people say it is illegal to take kegs that way... But then again what are deposits for?

Haha... Sorry, I should have mentioned the legality of that. Many people say it is illegal to take kegs that way... But then again what are deposits for?

deposits do not transfer the ownership. Here in California there is an actual 'ownership sticker' and also stamped on the keg.
The best luck I have had is contacting some of the local distributors. They will sometimes have kegs with out tags, that have become their property.

this has been argued over and over again here. I feel that if the deposit isn't enough to cover the cost of the keg - which it isnt- then it should be upped. Personally I don;t want to buy a keg of shi*y beer on top of paying a deposit so I search craigslist.

a deposit is encouragement to return the keg, not a purchase of the keg. If you don't return it the you are nothing better the a thief that breaks in somewhere and takes what isn't theirs. Breweries take return of kegs very seriously. We go out of our way to make sure that even Budweiser get kegs back when they are mistakenly returned to us. If you take a keg illegally then you are a ****ing thief!

Be responsible and find a keg legally! Its not that hard to do. Call breweries and asked about decommissioned kegs, look on probrewer.com, or buy a new one. WE just sold about 30 on this site 3 weeks ago. We do our part to help and other breweries will to! If you can't find a used keg, then man up and buy a new one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back