Removing krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUZ808

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am still new to home brewing as I only have a few brews under my belt. I'm looking for a simple idea or technique on how to remove the krausen from a carboy while fermenting.

Could it be as simple as just using a blow off tube with a 5 gallon carboy for a 5 gallon batch?

Any help or other ideas appreciated thanks

unless you buy a bigger fermenting vessel, i think you're gonna have to just brew a 4 gallon batch. 5 gallon batches need about a 6.5 gallon bucket/carboy. A blow off tube helps when you have a monster yeast starter for a big beer but there really isn't any other way to ferment with zero head space.

You can use fermax and wont have to use blow off hoses. You will get some krausen, but not a lot.

ETA: as mentioned youll need a bigger fermenter or smaller batches

OK I guess I should have started it off and asked is it even important to remove krausen? Is the hop resin in the krausen even bad for the beer?

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I am still new to brewing

I am using a 6.5 gallon glass carboy for my primary now but though of the idea of just using a 5 gallon carboy with little head space and a blow off tube for getting rid of the krausen.

OK I guess I should have started it off and asked is it even important to remove krausen? Is the hop resin in the krausen even bad for the beer?

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I am still new to brewing

I am using a 6.5 gallon glass carboy for my primary now but though of the idea of just using a 5 gallon carboy with little head space and a blow off tube for getting rid of the krausen.

No, there isn't any need to get rid of the krausen. In the old "Joy of Homebrewing", Charlie Papazian recommended it but with today's yeast strains, good techniques, and more current knowledge, it's no longer recommended as a routine process.

Back