You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite the 100's of great brews you've made in the last 20 years u still remember comments like "tastes like vegetable soup" or "hmmmm, kind of nutty" from your first few batches. No more vegetable soup!!!!!

Yeah, my first batch was dubbed "Earwax IPA"

In light of this: You know you´re a homebrewer when your beer no longer tastes like soap.

Twas bad...

Probably been said before, but...

When you see a party scene in movie/TV and see their pump keg setup. Then realize that your day to day home dispensing system is better than that "awesome keg party."

I'll go at this another way:
Every time you see someone drinking beer in a movie you examine everything about the beer. From color, to the glass being used.

I just saw a rerun of how I met your mother that featured a homebrewer wanting to go pro. He hands one of the main characters his beer in what looked like a 10oz clear bottle, and I immediately screamed at the tv: "no brewer worth a damn would put his beer in a clear glass bottle!"

Instead of using breaks in your schedule to get ahead on projects at work, you use it to plan your pipeline and design recipes. My planning for brew days should be good through 2016.

Instead of using breaks in your schedule to get ahead on projects at work, you use it to plan your pipeline and design recipes. My planning for brew days should be good through 2016.

Or taking "breaks" and asking coworkers for ideas for the next brew

you get your pension in the bank, & the first thing you finally do in months is to but a crap ton of brewing stuff! And a new leather chair for the comp!:ban::rockin:

I'm not so much into hearing it as I am seeing it. My swmbo has caught me in the garage starring at an open fridge (my ferm chamber), to which she said, "Ever since you started homebrewing, you got a bit weirder" What can I say? I like seeing the airlock activity. It's like the first round prize you get to let you know you did something right.

To stay in line with the thread...

When everyone asks you, "so when are you going to start selling your beer?"

I've wished I could set up a webcam to watch those babies bubble.... I think that might be a bit over the top though so I haven't done it.

Lol go look at the last post on the "what came in the mail today?" Thread. Someone bought a Webcam to do just that!

....you know the feeling of accidentally stepping on an airlock barefoot... ouch!

Driving through the neighborhood, you look in open garages for evidence of other homebrewers/setups.

Guilty. I have been told that there is another homebrewer somewhere on one of the roads near my house. I still havent found them yet though. And unfortunately my garage opens on the back of my house and I live on a dead end so they wont find me.

Idk, but it seems better than a culled sac right now?...
I don't want to hear about your culled sac.

Now, my cul de sac? Friends, let me tell you something. There is nowhere better to live within an incorporated city. Almost zero drive-by traffic, can sit out in the front yard with the grill and not be bothered (my back yard borders a county road. No privacy there) The neighbor's kids have a large (100' diameter) concrete pad to play on and ride bikes without worrying about a car coming by at 30 mph. You cannot beat it.

Mine are nose in the air, trouble making trash trying to be yuppies. Then the skilled tradesman & store chain managers/owners. & in this one, you have to drive down the street to see the house numbers on the mailboxes. Only UPS driver ever to drive up the street where you can't see'em. So Saturday people got theirs a day early, while me on Friday get nothing.

Driving through the neighborhood, you look in open garages for evidence of other homebrewers/setups.

Or walking the dog and then you think of a way to walk by during a brew to make a new friend. Still haven't walked by but his setup looked nice.

When you start bringing beer to work for people to sample and they setup a brewing fund to keep the beer coming...

Apparently all they have ever had is BMC and so far they like everything I brew, even if I think it's not my best...

You get more excited when your Northern Brewer / Midwest Supplies catalog arrives than you ever did for your Playboy / Penthouse.

(Granted, I suppose this post would also work for the "You know you're over 50 when..." thread.)

When you trespass onto a neighbors place to "steal" the ripe prickly pears....and get caught doing it! But, it's all good, I helped him build his barn!

When you get pulled over on your way home from doing a brew session over your buddies house and you have to explain to the officer that your equipment is NOT for making Meth....And after your explain it's for making Beer he just assumes then you must be drunk....

When you see an unused 220 volt socket at your sisters house and think to your self damn what a waste if only i had one at home...

You stand there waiting for your coffee on your Keurig, and the little picture on the screen goes to the one of the coffee beans being washed in a big vat and you immediately think; "Damn, that's one helluva autosparge there, wonder if I can replicate that?"

...You spend hours looking for induction burners large enough to accommodate your MegaPot.

When you start bringing beer to work for people to sample and they setup a brewing fund to keep the beer coming...

Apparently all they have ever had is BMC and so far they like everything I brew, even if I think it's not my best...

I think it may be time for a work kegerator and have them buy you a pair of cornies. And bigger pots so you can make more beer for both of you.

I always feel like drug lord when I'm crushing up some campden tablets. It's the only time I feel like a badass.

Guilty as well. Even worse, my little ziplock baggie of campden tablets got damp and the label fell off. I tossed it to a friend asking if he wanted one and he thought it was some sort of ilicit drug. I then wondered how much fun it would be to explain that to a police officer should they need to enter my house for some reason.

Back