Using dry yeast instead of stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I am brewing a blonde ale for the first time and instead of using my stir plate with white labs wlp001 I went with 2 packets safale us05 thinking to save a step. Then the wife asks me why I did that and is it normal. So does anyone else skip the stir plate at times? If so what motivates you to do so?

I use dry yeast all the time. Especially 05. I only use liquid when I'm making a beer that requires it (Kolsch, stouts...etc.). My understanding is 05 is wlp001, or damn close anyway.

1 packet should even be enough for most 5 gallon batches.

i used liquid for my hefe and dunkel I have going now. I don't see myself using liquid again until i brew a belgiain

This might be better in a separate post but is their a downside with using more packets than needed? Since price is about the same I thought better to have more yeast than needed as opposed to not enough.

US 05 works great. I use it all my brews that do depend a yeast for flavor. APA/IPA etc.

One pack is plenty unless your brew is a big beer. It always starts quickly, works hard and hits FG easily.

According to the book the OG should be 1050 while my entering into BeerSmith reads 1063. I think my BS calcs are a bit off so looking at Mr Malty at 1055 I get a solid 1 package. I guess I'll just hang on to the other package.

I'm a bit sad that this is a new recipe because one day I'd like to taste test the safale us05 vs the wpl001.

Thanks all.

Back