Philadelphia Area - 93.3 WMMR Preston & Steve's Home Brew Contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laikacosmonaut

Reaction score
Announced this morning on the Preston and Steve morning show (the only reason worth living in the Philadelphia area), the boys have revealed their latest collaboration with Triumph Brewing Co.

Calling all Home Brewers! Preston & Steve, along with Triumph Brewery, are looking for a great home-brewed Ale! (No cheating now...) All we need to know is the type of Ale you make, the IBU, malt, hops, and a few other things about you and your beer - so stop drooling and shoot an email to [email protected] using the form below.
Triumph will select 25-30 of the best entries to compete on June 11th at the Triumph Brewery location on Chestnut Street in Old City (so describe you and your beer well!)

Winner will receive $500 AND their brewed and featured on tap at Triumph - and if that wasn't enough, the winner's brew recipe will be entered into the Great American Beer Fest in Colorado for consideration.

The guidelines and rules aren't incredibly rigid, but do include a ban on: Lagers, Wood Aged beers, and bacterial/wild yeast cultures. They also encourage creativity, and I hope contestants will be kind enough to theme their brews with the show in mind.

Good luck to all, hope this inspires the Delaware Valley to brew a little more competetively-- this'll be my first! :rockin:

I tried to get further clarification, but no response yet. It seems as though, yes, initially you put in a bid for your brew with a submission using recipe. If you are selected as a finalist, you brew the beer and officially submit it for taste-testing.

It's certainly small-time, but interesting none-the-less. I just find it great that a major market radio station embraces homebrewing. :mug:

Whoa! There's a Hatfield, PA? I didn't know that!
Anyway, Who is this competition open to? Anyone?

Made me look. Here's the entry.

Looks like initially, it's more about the creative description of yourself and your entry than it is about the quality of the beer.

They will choose 25-30 people by the recipe and your creative description of yourself.
You bring your beer to Triumph the day of the competition.
You have to be present at Triumph the day of the competition.

Still might be fun. Too bad it's not my local Triumph Brewery in Lambertville.

So, I'm filling out the entry and get to this part and draw a blank.
Might take a few more beers to get inspired.

Please tell us a few reasons why you should be picked for the competition? Please explain a little bit about yourself...(Be creative!)

Whoa! There's a Hatfield, PA? I didn't know that!
Anyway, Who is this competition open to? Anyone?

Hatfield, PA--home of Hatfield Ham!!!...and nothing else. The vegetarian in me cries with each sunrise...

It's open to anyone, but I assume you should be a listener to the radio program as I believe everything should be tied to the show in some way or another (may help with your "story").

Glad to see some healthy interest! :ban:

What a crock.

First they want your recipe.

If your's is chosen, you brew it at your own expense.

If you win, you get $500. That's it. For the rest of your life, regardless of how many years it took you to perfect your recipe.

because.... (and I quote)

"By entering, each contestant agrees that if s/he is the Grand Prize winner, s/he authorizes Triumph Brewery to use his/her submitted winning recipe to mass-produce and sell the winning beer to the public, under any name Triumph chooses, and the Grand Prize winner will not be entitled to any compensation or other consideration from Triumph Brewery for the use of his/her recipe."

I'd rather masturbate with a cheese grater

The Sams Adams contest is the same way.

Triumph must be running out of creative ideas, also...

The bottom line is that, if you win, you get your 15 minutes, someone else profits for life...

Oh my God! This is a conspiracy to steal my recipe.

The horror of it all. :eek:

I'll try to figure out where I said that...

Hyperbole and smart-ass comments notwithstanding, it is nothing more than an attempt at mining the homebrew community for fresh ideas.

Other than a $500 check, you get absolutely no recognition or credit for the fruits of your labor.

Personally, it's not about the money for me...

. . . it is nothing more than an attempt at mining the homebrew community for fresh ideas.
The plot thickens. I didn't realize it was the entire homebrew community at risk. ;)

. . . or could it just be a publicity stunt for a radio station and small brew pub?

Personally, it's not about the money for me...
Yet you're the one who's worried about not profitting from your valuable recipe.

The plot thickens. I didn't realize it was the entire homebrew community at risk. ;)

. . . or could it just be a publicity stunt to for a radio station and small brew pub?

Yet you're the one who's paranoid about not profitting from your valuable recipe.

First of all, if you are going to quote me, do not do it out of context. It really is in bad form.

Second, if you are going to make assumptions about me, please give them some thought. I never said it is about the money, I said that all one gets is the money, one time, while someone else profits from it. No recognition. I'd rather they keep the money and acknowledge the person that came up with the recipe. If you have no pride in the recipes that you come up with, that is your prerogative.

It is not the whole homebrew community, just the immediate Philly/NJ/DE area :D

Of course it is just a publicity stunt. I listen to Preston & Steve every morning. They have a great show. In fact, I will be at the studio to see production on May 25th, the privilege won from another one of their publicity stunts.

It just begs the question of why one would have to give up the rights to one's idea. Could you possibly explain to me how there could be another reason to put a clause like that in the contest?

It is not a conspiracy, there is no plot to thicken, nobody is at risk. In fact, it is a very sound business practice and widely used in a lot of situations. Pay someone a pittance for doing the research, legwork and testing, change the name, claim it as your own (after guaranteeing that the person cannot make any future claims of intellectual property, of course) and profit from it. Capitalism at it's most glorious. I'm just not sugar coating it. It is what it is, and I'm calling a spade a spade.

You don't have to like it for it to be true and, although your lackluster attempts at mocking may be amusing for a fleeting moment, you should try using some more paranoid smilies for color and impact.

paranoid-1.gif

If you are worried about them stealing your recipe don't be.
By entering, each contestant agrees that if s/he is the Grand Prize winner, s/he authorizes Triumph Brewery to use his/her submitted winning recipe to produce and sell the winning beer to the public in limited quantities, and the Grand Prize winner will not be entitled to any compensation or other consideration from Triumph Brewery for this limited use of his/her recipe. The winner will retain all other rights to the recipe.
But if you don't want to that's up to y'all better chance of me taking this thing. Also it is limited to the Philadelphia / greater Philadelphia area. I don't think you can enter Ohio. The only thing that sucks is the turn around time. You either have to have the ingredients already or order before you find out if they chose your recipe.(if you plan to order supplies)

If you are worried about them stealing your recipe don't be.

But if you don't want to that's up to y'all better chance of me taking this thing. Also it is limited to the Philadelphia / greater Philadelphia area. I don't think you can enter Ohio. The only thing that sucks is the turn around time. You either have to have the ingredients already or order before you find out if they chose your recipe.(if you plan to order supplies)

If it is a great recipe, wouldn't you already have plans on making it? ;)

Failing to plan is planning to fail. Either way, I'm set. :rockin:

100_1733.jpg

I saw it - and the way I read the rules w/ the personal info & story, they're trying to make sure they find a brewer who will be "cool" enough to represent them.

That left me out.

BTW - I'm sitting in the burgeoning metropolis of Hatfield as I'm typing this.

Yeah I'd say, what did you do burglarize a silo? My stuff should be here tomorrow, I'm just a rookie this will be my first attempt at a competition. I already had something lined up to brew but then this contest popped up and there's a recipe I've been tweaking for a couple months now, so i went with that one since it's my own.

. . . they're trying to make sure they find a brewer who will be "cool" enough to represent them. That left me out.
Exactly my thought. Filled out the form and sent it, but with no embellishments. Just boring me. My only real qualification is that I like beer. Meh.

I submitted a recipe as well. Did anyone hear any word back? I believe they said they would contact the brewers by today re: their recipe, if it was picked.

Just got word this morning that they received around 300 recipes and are still sorting through them. No word on when that might be though. My suggestion is if your waiting to see if you got picked or not to brew, don't wait, just brew it.

triumph (for the most part) sucks ass. hopefully one of you characters can add some much needed spunk to their lineups! both princeton & new hope are usually lacking and expensive as sh*t. and if in philly why would you ever want to go to truimph:( VonMessa is definitely onto something, but i have to admit it's funny as hell reading internet sarcasm/humor/rebuttels. that said, your recipe can be in the GABF!! i wish i read this 2 weeks ago for that reason alone :cross: just my 2 cents - all opinion of course

P&S announced this morning that everyone who entered will be in the competition.

Triumph didn't want to turn away 275 people who entered so they will be announcing how to submit your brew.

Just brew your recipe and they'll be in contact with us I guess.

P&S announced this morning that everyone who entered will be in the competition. . . Just brew your recipe and they'll be in contact with us I guess.
I listen to WMMR, but don't catch P&S too often. If you hear any more, please post. Thanks.

P&S announced this morning that everyone who entered will be in the competition.

Triumph didn't want to turn away 275 people who entered so they will be announcing how to submit your brew.

Just brew your recipe and they'll be in contact with us I guess.

That's a little messed up. How were contestants to know this if they missed the on-air announcement? Would it have killed them to send an e-mail?

Guess it's a good thing I brewed the recipe I submitted yesterday, huh?

Has anyone heard anything else about this? I entered but have not actually heard from Triumph and/or Preston and Steve about all the brews being accepted. Just wonderin'....

Wait, everyone is elligible? Is the June 11th judging date still on? And are they going to judge all of the unconfirmed 250-300+ entries? That doesn't sound possible.

Not asking anyone in particular... just have so many questions!

EDIT:

I called Triumph. Was told that the manager "is not well versed" re: the contest, but she does know than "an e-mail will be going out about it tomorrow".

I didn't get one either.

I think the moral of the story is "just brew your recipe, that way at least you have beer".

Oh yeah and Triumph doesn't know what they're doing.

Sirry Triumph...

I ended up brewing my Saison for the Lansdale Beer Festival keg competition instead, anyway. Sorry if I sucked anyone into this crapshoot of a competition. It sounded great in theory...if they fine tune things, I think the premise they had would be great.

Slainte, Prost, and...oh just get drunk and be merry... :tank:

Not sure if this tale should be called a comedy or a tragedy?

P&S are quite the funny guys, never know...

Well . . . It's on!

Hello,

Thank you for your interest and entry in the 1st Annual Preston
and Steve Homebrew Competition at Triumph Brewing Company. It is
my pleasure to announce that we will be welcoming ALL persons who
applied for entry to the event to come have their beer entered
for consideration and be a part of the competition. Please go to
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=221342164558694
for details and to RSVP and complete the registration process.

We look forward to seeing you all here for the big event.

Sean H. Kelly
Triumph Brewing Company
117 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Yeah, I just got it...

I foolishly used 3724 to ferment out my Saison, so it may not be done in time anyway... that damn yeast is lazy as sin, and the mild Spring weather isn't helping much.

Also, I don't know if it would qualify, considering I did a small sour mash to give it a little lactic bite... Damn stringent guidelines. :mad:

Yipes, last time I uses 3724 it took nearly 8 weeks at 85-90 degrees to finish!

Don't have anything else you can enter?

All my carboys are full, currently... Apfelwine, Flander's Red, pLambic, all no-no's.... I have an imperial breakfast stout, but it's been aging on oak for a few months (against guidelines!) and another RIS but that is green as hell (less than 2 weeks old, 1.100 OG)... I have a vienna lager on tap, a Oktoberfest lagering since April, and a Pumpkin Spice Nut Brown which I just hooked up to gas while aging... which is probably the only one that I could use, but it may still be a little green (~1mo old)...

Does anyone know if the beer we submit HAS to be from the recipe we entered?

I've brewed quite a bit in the past few weeks (including the recipe I entered), and if I have a choice I'd like to submit the best beer I've brewed.

Does anyone know if the beer we submit HAS to be from the recipe we entered?

I've brewed quite a bit in the past few weeks (including the recipe I entered), and if I have a choice I'd like to submit the best beer I've brewed.

Don't quote me, but I don't think they even kept the originals--just our e-mails. Haha.

Latest posts

Back