first time batch sparging... beersmith question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
Hey everyone... maybe you can answer this question quickly for me as I haven't had much luck searching really.

I am going to do my first batch sparge tomorrow just to compare the efficiency to what I get when fly sparging and I have everything plugged in to beersmith. Can anyone translate this for me?

Mash Ingredients
Mash In: Add 10.94 qt of water at 164.8 F
Hold mash at 150.0 F for 75 min
-- Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 1.62 gal of 168.0 F water.
-- Batch Sparge Round 2: Sparge with 3.30 gal of 168.0 F water.
-- Add water to achieve boil volume of 6.35 gal
-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.036 SG with all grains/extracts added

This is for a 5.25 gallon batch. I understand the mashing instructions but the sparge gets me confused. After mashing I add the round 1 water addition and then drain for first time and after that add the next round of water (3.3) and then drain that off correct? It seems like the amounts listed will put me way over my pre boil volume of 6.35 gallons.

Any suggestions or advice for my first attempt at this?

You are forgetting about grain absorbtion of roughly .1 gallons per pound. For your first attempt, I would suggest that you make two equal sparges instead of the way Beersmith set it. So if you expect to collect 2 gallons after mash, then make two batch sparges of 2.2 gallons each. That way you will have a boil volume of roughly 6.4.

Your initial volume of water, 10.94 qts, is roughly 2 gal. and 3 qts. The grain will absorb about 1 gal. of water. So that's 1 gal. 3 qts. plus 1.62 gals. = approx. 3.37 gals. then after you drain that you add the 3.30 gals which should bring your preboil volume to around 6-6.5 gallons depending on your loss calculated in your mash tun (dead space). Calculate your evaporation rate at around 10% and that leaves you with 5.4 -5.9 gallons. I always shoot for a bit extra wort b/c for some reason my level in the fermenter is a little short.

Make sure you check the auto temperature adjustment box for your mash settings and calculate the temperature of your grain and mash tun b4 adding hot water. I was coming up 4-5 deg. short on my mashes b/c I was missing this step. Good luck.

Awesome thanks for the help... I did not adjust the grain bill for any loss in efficiency but since it's for a 5.5 gallon batch I guess I'll sparge enough for 5 or 5.25 which should create the same effect I assume correct?

Ok, you need to think about three things when collecting your wort:
1. what is the preboil volume; ex. 6 gal boil - .5 gal evaporation = 5.5 gal into fermenter
2. dead space in the boil kettle: ex. 6 gal boil - .5 gal evaporation - .5 gal dead space = 5 gal into fermenter
3. calculating efficiency: take preboil gravity reading and post boil gravity reading. Use the formula on this page http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-5.html
Make sure you use the gravity reading with temperature adjustment.

or... there's always malt extract?

SOB_OCDAVE said:
Ok, you need to think about three things when collecting your wort:
1. what is the preboil volume; ex. 6 gal boil - .5 gal evaporation = 5.5 gal into fermenter
2. dead space in the boil kettle: ex. 6 gal boil - .5 gal evaporation - .5 gal dead space = 5 gal into fermenter
3. calculating efficiency: take preboil gravity reading and post boil gravity reading. Use the formula on this page http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-5.html
Make sure you use the gravity reading with temperature adjustment.

or... there's always malt extract?

Thanks for the tips! I typically use beersmith and plug in all these variables as I go, write them down as well to try and dial things in but I think this is only my third AG batch so I'm still doing things like on my last batch, looking up a day later realizing I didn't take an OG reading. Lol still learning. There is just so much going on during a brew especially with AG that the simplest things can get forgotten.

mrduna, I too have been using BeerSmith recently but I've been AG brewing for about 8 years. I started using the software b/c I wanted an easier way to design recipes and track efficiencies and other data. My first 3-4 beers with beersmith went wrong b/c the water for the mash in was not hot enough. I missed my temps. by 4-5 degs. It was bothering me pretty bad until I discovered a box that I forgot to check (Adjust Temp for Equipment). Now i know the problem and can correct my mistakes.
I understand what you're saying about so much going on during the brew day. i always have some issue during a brew session. And, its always a different one. My suggestion is take a sample from the boil kettle after you get your preboil volume and set it aside. Then take another sample after the boil and set it aside too. Use a turkey baster or just open the valve and fill a cup or tupperware part of the way. Later on after things have calmed down, pour your samples into the test tube and use the hydrometer to get your readings. Be sure to check the temp. of the sample too b/c it may seem off if its hot. Remember, your hydrometer is calibrated at 60*deg F, so your sample needs to be 60*F or do a temperature adjustment with the hydrometer adjust section of BeerSmith. Good luck. Sorry so long winded...

Back