What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just arranged a trade to get a 4 pack of this and I CANT WAIT!!! I think its the one I am most excited to try. Cheers Nuke.

You won't be disappointed. Such a fantastic beer. Not sure if you've ever had Heady Topper, but in a blind (literally) taste test I had a very hard time telling the difference. It's that good.

Thought it would be interesting to try blending beers. This combo, however, is not worth it. They're too similar so I can't really tell it's a blend at all, though it seems that the FP aroma is winning a bit over the GB aroma. Otherwise, can't tell much difference. The good news is it's still as good as either one by itself.

Untitled by aaron.j.lott, on Flickr

I'm drinking some of my wife's cousins (cousin in law?) Homebrew, tastes kind of like an English ipa, he calls it "ale" in broken English.

They don't know, I was raised French. I love it

Glad it's not just my phone that thinks 'Homebrew' is a proper noun. No biere de garde? Speaking of Bdg, what makes some yeast strains 'lava lamp' after cold crashing if they warm back up?

I don't know what that means, but I did just chase some morons off my property with my 12 gauge. Not sure if they even saw the gun, maybe it was all the lights I turned on and me yelling 'Whatcha doin over there. Ya you, in the pullout'. Damn phone company relay box the former owner of our property leased a small piece of the property for. I got the phone company to put some posts in at the entrance last year. They were supposed to put up a gate. It was chained off for a while, but the chain dissappeared.

:rockin:
2013-10-01-22-32-01--1277536475.jpeg

Glad it's not just my phone that thinks 'Homebrew' is a proper noun. No biere de garde? Speaking of Bdg, what makes some yeast strains 'lava lamp' after cold crashing if they warm back up?

If it's a top cropper in the true sense of the term, as it warms up the yeast will begin floating back to the top and gelling up, I'm sure you've noticed top cropping yeast forms like foam insulation when it's high krausen, then as it falls, what is left is lavalamp like just floating on top. If the beer is chilled it all falls out, but as it warms up it will start becoming buoyant again, if you let it warm fully to the yeasts optional temp it will sit on top instead of being partially buoyant like what I think you are experiencing.

You won't be disappointed. Such a fantastic beer. Not sure if you've ever had Heady Topper, but in a blind (literally) taste test I had a very hard time telling the difference. It's that good.

Um, yes, I have had Heady, and it was amazing. So that makes me even more excited for the box to get here!!!

I moved on to the Pliny. Its super fresh. Bottled 1 1/2 weeks ago. Tasty, but damn, that Blind Pig was a LOT better. The BP has way more of the "hop candy" flavor to it. Even for a super fresh Pliny, it seems muted, and not as bright. They are both great, but i would rather had another Pig over the Pliny.

I have some SixPoint Resin coming in the trade too. Yet another beer I crave, even here in Norther California haha.

DSC_0594_zps2f5f6701.jpg
[/URL]

$3 Live Oak pint night. Starting with the Oaktoberfest. Meh, it's ok, but I'll move on after this. $3 specials every Tuesday, 27 taps total, good food, and the place is walking distance from my hotel. I'll be coming back.

image-3810485331.jpg

After a Rogue Dead Guy and five Oktoberfest's, hammered some Macallan 18 and Herradura Añejo.

image-2889613806.jpg

Tons of water today. Did some beer fridge bottle cleaning out and went a little on the heavy side last night. Finishing up some dinner and probably gonna crack a narwhal to finish off this wildcard game

ForumRunner_20131001_200104.jpg

ForumRunner_20131001_200252.jpg

$3 Live Oak pint night. Starting with the Oaktoberfest. Meh, it's ok, but I'll move on after this. $3 specials every Tuesday, 27 taps total, good food, and the place is walking distance from my hotel. I'll be coming back.

I'll take a growler of hefe please. It's the least you could do for me giving you Torrey Smith, right? :D

If it's a top cropper in the true sense of the term, as it warms up the yeast will begin floating back to the top and gelling up, I'm sure you've noticed top cropping yeast forms like foam insulation when it's high krausen, then as it falls, what is left is lavalamp like just floating on top. If the beer is chilled it all falls out, but as it warms up it will start becoming buoyant again, if you let it warm fully to the yeasts optional temp it will sit on top instead of being partially buoyant like what I think you are experiencing.

Wlp072 is the strain in question. Doesn't seem to behave differently than 3726 during fermentation, but if I lager a bit without racking over (yeah, I know, I don;t have enough fermentors) and then take it out to warm up a little before racking to bottling bucket and don't get it off the yeast quickly, it looks like it's playing space invaders.

TNGabe said:
I'll take a growler of hefe please. It's the least you could do for me giving you Torrey Smith, right? :D

Hm, I wonder if the special extends to growler fills. Still glad you kept Brown?

I went with the Pilz, just because I haven't had it before. Not a bad pilsner, but should have gone Hefe...

Hm, I wonder if the special extends to growler fills. Still glad you kept Brown?

I went with the Pilz, just because I haven't had it before. Not a bad pilsner, but should have gone Hefe...

So far, 3 tds for Brown and one for Smith, but Smith has more points. Probably not the best trade I could have made...

Sixpoint Spice of Life - this is the first Sixpoint beer that I thought was above average. Really good.

You've clearly never had Resin. And if you say you've had it, I know you're lying because that's one damn good beer.

Take it easy on him guys. Member for over a year and first post.

Welcome to the alchy thread. :mug:

Wasn't planning on giving him any $hit, just was going to ignore his beer choice. Hehe. For reals, though, to each his own, but IMO MH sucks and not just because of their beer.

Extended night cap of another Flower Power of which I did not take a pic.

Haha, I feel that same way. Its a great beer and you just cant quite put your finger on why its so good!

You try to put your finger on why it's so good, and then you realize you can't, because it's not.

If you want to watch something funny, try giving a bottle of it (or Fou'Foune, or anything else that isn't coming to mind, but it would be especially funny with Fou'Foune) to my club's president. He's a Marine, plus something about tanks, and some crazy superstition I don't understand. It's hilarious. Won't go near it.

That's what gelatin is for.

gabe, I tried Gelatin. I did! I think i messed it u psomehow, because I was expecting a much clearer beer.

I added a packet of gelatin to water. Heated in microwave to about 155 deg F, and let it sit for a few minutes. Then added to the *uncarbed* beer in the keg. Shook gently, and let it sit for about a week. I added CO2 and "purged" what I hoped to be a plug of nasty yeast and whatnot. But instead it was nothing. And the beer has been foggy since. Not sure how I screwed it up. Should I have let the gelatin "bloom"?? What happened? I want a clear IPA haha. i have never made a clear IPA. Not sure why.

gabe, I tried Gelatin. I did! I think i messed it u psomehow, because I was expecting a much clearer beer.

I added a packet of gelatin to water. Heated in microwave to about 155 deg F, and let it sit for a few minutes. Then added to the *uncarbed* beer in the keg. Shook gently, and let it sit for about a week. I added CO2 and "purged" what I hoped to be a plug of nasty yeast and whatnot. But instead it was nothing. And the beer has been foggy since. Not sure how I screwed it up. Should I have let the gelatin "bloom"?? What happened? I want a clear IPA haha. i have never made a clear IPA. Not sure why.

Was the beer cold when you added the gelatin? I've only used gelatin once, so I'm far from an expert, but I added it to a beer that looked like orange mud and now I can read the computer screen through it. I think the general recommendation is to heat the water and then add gelatin, maybe that was the problem?

I've always had the best luck letting it bloom.

Yeah, you should have let it bloom for an hour before heating it. I don't remember why you're supposed to do this, but it ****ing works.

Was the beer cold when you added the gelatin? I've only used gelatin once, so I'm far from an expert, but I added it to a beer that looked like orange mud and now I can read the computer screen through it. I think the general recommendation is to heat the water and then add gelatin, maybe that was the problem?

Yeah. The beer was in the kegerator at 39 deg F. Not sure why it didnt work. I thought it had bloomed, but maybe it hadnt. Oh well. Its still a damn tasty IPA, but I dont know why all my IPA's are foggy.

FG sample of my Edinburgh Session. I'll be racking to keg tomorrow. Can't wait till this one is carbed up.

image-612787319.jpg

Latest posts

Back