Holiday Peach Cobbler Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qbst

Reaction score
Heya everybody.

I have been looking around for a good holiday beer that can use peaches originally intended for a summer peach wit. Anyway... After looking here, there, and darn near everywhere, I found very little by way of recipes or ideas. So I tried to build a recipe on my own. It's below.

If the recipe's bad, I have no problem with someone telling me that. This recipe was "designed" by looking at some other holiday beers and seeing what folks commonly use. Any comments or critiques would be greatly appreciated. I'm relatively new to the recipe making thing, and want to make sure I get my stuff in order.

And thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions - it will be very much appreciated!

Recipe Type: Partial
Yeast: Safale S-05
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.0
Original Gravity: 1.088
Final Gravity: 1.022
IBU: 34.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 15.3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):21

Recipe: Holiday Peach Cobbler Ale
Brewer: me
Style: Holiday Ale
TYPE: PM

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.0 gal
Boil Size: 3.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.088 SG
Estimated Color: 15.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.0 lb Flaked Oats
6.0 lb Pale LME
3.0 lb Dark Wheat Malt
1.0 lb Dark Brown Sugar
2.0 lb Victory Malt

2.00 oz Centennial [32.1 IBU] (45 min)
2.00 oz Saaz [2.5 IBU] (5 min)

1 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15 min)
3.0 oz vanilla bean (Primary)
5.0 oz cinnamon stick (Secondary)
2.0 oz Allspice (Secondary)
2.0 oz Nutmeg (Secondary)
6.0 lb Peach (Secondary)

1 Pkgs Safale S-05

+2 on NOT adding clove.

I thought that looked like a lot of vanilla bean until I noticed it's in primary, so maybe some of it will blow off? Why not just add 1.5 oz to secondary with everything else?

Indian River peaches? Georgia Peaches? Carolina peaches?

What's your peach plan?

This recipe sounds very tasty.

I always prefer to use vanilla extract instead of beans when I brew. One, extract is cheaper, and two, it's easier to control how much you want. If you do use extract, I'd add it to the primary with everything else and taste as you go.

Also, your abv on this bad boy is pretty high. I'm showing 8.6% per 12 oz. I might scale it back just a bit to allow a few pints to be had before annihilation is reached.

@fletch

I was thinking about the vanilla in primary because I was worried about making sure the beer got enough of the flavor.

As for the peaches, they were fresh Georgia peaches, right off of the tree. I chopped them into smallish bits and froze them. My plan is to heat them in a double boiler to 170 ish, then dump them into the secondary and rack the beer onto them. I was toying with just unfreezing the peaches and dumping them in, but I remember a thread on fruit wherein someone suggested dumping them straight in was dangerous for the beer.

@munklunk

I used vanilla extract for a previous brew and was pleased with it. Honestly, the only reason I was going to use bean was because I hadn't used it before.

As for the ABV, yeah, it is a little high. I was wanting something with a bit more of a kick than usual. But I'll think about dropping it down a little.

Thanks, both of you for the comments, very appreciated!

After some consideration, I tried to scale down the recipe a little, so folks could enjoy more than one in one sitting. I additionally decided to stick with what I know - vanilla extract. Here's my updated recipe. Comments, criticism, etc are still very welcome!

Recipe Type: Partial
Yeast: Safale S-05
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.0
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.016
IBU: 32.3
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 13.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):21

Recipe: Holiday Peach Cobbler Ale
Brewer: me
Style: Holiday Ale
TYPE: PM

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.0 gal
Boil Size: 3.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 13.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.0 lb Flaked Oats
4.0 lb Pale LME
2.0 lb Dark Wheat Malt
1.0 lb Dark Brown Sugar
2.0 lb Victory Malt

1.250 oz Centennial [29.8 IBU] (60 min)
1.00 oz Saaz [1.7 IBU] (5 min)

1 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15 min)
2.0 oz vanilla extract (Primary)
5.0 oz cinnamon stick (Secondary)
2.0 oz Allspice (Secondary)
2.0 oz Nutmeg (Secondary)
6.0 lb Peach (Secondary)

1 Pkgs Safale S-05

how did this recipe turn out? I just started Brooklyn Brew shops 1 gallon peach cobbler ale. I am curious how it will turn out.

Latest posts

Back