old coffee pot heat exchanger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattybrews

Reaction score
So I've been toying with a few ideas for getting a recirculating system done and have a good grasp on the theory. The other day while going through the *crap* in the garage i found a preettyyyy darn old percolator-style coffee maker. It has an inner chamber of aluminum, and a heating element at the bottom that transfers heat to the entire unit. It even has an outlet valve at the bottom that is easily replaceable with a new fitting.

This this was designed to get a gallon or so of water up to coffee temps to recirculate (percolate) through its own system in probably 10-15 minutes. It's definitely got enough juice to hold flowing wort at 150-155 F. I was thinking of putting a whole in the lid, refitting the outlet, adding a volume knob to the electric element as a 'control' knob, and using this thing for a RIMS. Ideas? Suggestions? If i could find a way to make it relatively air-tight, I could also probably get away with leaving it at a level equal or below the mashtun, and allowing the pump to do its thing, rather than having to put it above and control flow.

feedback appreciated

Back