For what malt can I substitute Euro Pils for the base malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msheraw

Reaction score
For example if I were normally using two row could I use Euro Pils. Obviously I could use it in a lager but what about ales? Maybe I am overcomplicating this.

I'd say you can substitute pilsen malt for 2-row pale ale malt in many styles if you really wanted to. Though I'm not sure why you'd want to. In general, it will result in a lighter colored beer and probably cleaner. On the other hand, you'll want to account for differences in extract potential, diastatic power, and boil 90 minutes instead of 60 in order to drive off DMS precursors.

If you're just looking for a style, I'd say a summer ale or wit.

Is the longer boil a necessity when brewing with any pilsner malt as the main base? What about a recipe that splits the base malts 50/50 (2 row/pils)?

Is the longer boil a necessity when brewing with any pilsner malt as the main base? What about a recipe that splits the base malts 50/50 (2 row/pils)?

Not if you are fermenting with ale yeast and normal ale temperatures and chilling your wort in a reasonable amount of time.

The relative lack of evolution of volatiles during fermentation is as much to blame for DMS in lagers as is the higher amount of SMM in pilsener malt.

Back