Vienna/Sterling SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon1856

Reaction score
This just went into the kegerator after a month in the chamber. One week on the gas to carbonated perfection.

I gotta tell you...I didn't really know what this was going to turn out to be, but it is NICE. VERY light, very flavorful, and it HAMMERS. I didn't take a FG reading, mostly because I'm to a point where I don't care, I like beer, but I DO know that after 4 pints last night I fell asleep on the couch. And I'm not a lightweight.

Point is, it was very good. I've never used Vienna as a base or Sterling at all, and the combo is very nice indeed. I recommend!

Anybody else tried this?

I just got a sack of Belgian Pilsner and I have a half pound of sterling. I'm going to have to SMASH a lager soon. I like Sterling. I seem to get some flavor from it even with only a 60 minute addition. What yeast did you use?

Sorry for the delay guys...here's what I did:

10 lb. Vienna
1.4 qt/lb = 14 qt mash in
mash at 154
Sparge; 4.7 gallons @ 175

Hops schedule:
.5 oz Sterling 8.7% FWH
.75 oz Sterling 8.7% @ 20 min
.75 oz Sterling 8.7% @ 5 min
Wirfiloc @ 15 min

Notty yeast, no starter

My OG was 1.044

No word on FG...don't really care.

It's really bright and refreshing. I'm happy with the result.

Sterling is comparable to Saaz, but with a higher alpha acid level. I've used it in wheat beers mostly, but this sounds good!

Latest posts

Back