Battleship New Jersey Beer Fest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd2448

Reaction score
went to the micro/brew pub beer fest on the battleship new jersey in camden last saturday. was a bit disappointed with the selection compared to the phila navy yard and atlantic city beer fests, but it was worth a trip on a summer afternoon.

sadly i didn't think all the beer was that good. but some i liked - flying fish summer farmhouse ale is class, not so sure about their other offerings. trinity (princeton) were very good as were the harvest moon brews.

on the not so good list: pizzeria uno and a couple of others, riding horse or something? (things got a bit blurry late doors).

did anyone else go?

You talking about Riverhorse? Ah, I used to think that was some awesome craft brew back when I started brewing. It's not so great. I was going to go but decided to brew instead.

I've got a clone of Flying Fish Farmhouse Ale in primary right now. I think most of beers are pretty good. Their barleywine was amazing. I've been to the brewery many times.

Unfortunately, I think that's true. Sometimes it's hard finding something other than Coors Light in Jersey.

Tell me about it...I was down the shore (how's that for a local reference!) the other week and it was a massive BMC wasteland. Good thing I brought my own supply of beer with me.

. . . . did anyone else go?

Had SWMBO convinced to go, but got cheap at the last minute. Between tickets, food and gas for the two of us, prolly would have dropped $150. Bought copper for an IC instead. Drank homebrew and built a new toy. Came out way ahead. But the deciding factor was that none of the breweries participating really impressed me.

I was there, too. We had a really good time. Most of the beer was very tasty, with the notable exception of Gaslight's. Among the four of us we tried all of their offerings and had to dump them all.

I think Tun was our favorite. I really liked their Hefe, and my wife loved the Apricot ale. Basil T. also had a bunch of memorable offerings. Their Pale Ale was wonderfully hoppy and the stout just delicious.

A friend posted a bunch of pictures. As soon as I find them I'll link 'em here.

-Joe

@Bobby_M

Yes it was River Horse. And you definitely made the right call. It was good fun, but not value for the price, compared to AC or Navy Yard. Or building a copper immersion chiller, for that matter!

Went to Flying Fish's thanksgiving beer thing last year. I like the farmhouse best - clone recipe I made came from Microbrewed Adventures, that book from Charlie Papazian.

Unfortunately, I think that's true. Sometimes it's hard finding something other than Coors Light in Jersey.

i've only been living in jersey three years, but i've not had much trouble getting decent beer in most places i go. even the most basic boozers seem to have something other than BMC to offer, but i haven't spent much time down the shore, only around haddonfield/cherry hill.

Just curious, what puts Uno on the not so good list?

just didn't taste good. my friend ditched his sample. i drank mine but it actually tasted oxidized. could have been a transport problem to the event? i think they had the IPA there, and maybe the red ale. the ipa was the one i tried, not good.

just didn't taste good. my friend ditched his sample. i drank mine but it actually tasted oxidized. could have been a transport problem to the event? i think they had the IPA there, and maybe the red ale. the ipa was the one i tried, not good.

Thats strange, but I'll let the brewer know. I help him brew from time to time and I was actually supposed to be pouring samples for them, but couldn't make it down. The brewer usually doesn't like doing festivals for reasons like transportation/kegging issues. I haven't noticed any problems with his beers, but several things could've gone wrong...:(

Maybe it was late in the day? I tried all of Uno's beers pretty early and I didn't think the IPA was oxidized or funky. It wasn't my favorite IPA of the event, but there were no off flavors to note.

They had a pretty nice hefe, too, but the porter really sticks out in my mind. It was probably my favorite dark beer at the event.

-Joe

Was Dock Street Brewery there? Their Doppelbock is awesome.

I think it was NJ based brewers only.

on a related note, Riverhorse stuff has never really done anything for me.

What was everyone's impression of the Ship's stuff? I haven't had any of their brews but used to enjoy the place way back. Triumph has some good brews...I recall the Bengal IPA and their Irish style stout being tasty. Ramstein/Highpoint has some decent ones too.

Here's a couple of those pictures. The ship is, of course, ginormous.

craftbeer1.jpg

Making friends outside the tent :) Can you pick out which one is my wife?

craftbeer3.jpg

Beer goggles.

craftbeer6.jpg

A few more images here if'n you're interested.

-Joe

Back