North East OHIO group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pola0502ds

Reaction score
Original Posting Updated as of 8/10/2011 10:02 am EST

Hello,

I am looking to start a group grain buy for the North East Ohio area, Western PA, and anyone else willing to driving up this way.

I work for a company who has a forklift, we receive semi deliveries all day everyday so it wouldn't be a problem to get it here and unloaded. Because of this, shipping will be cheaper. Basically, no matter what size the order (42 bags or less), you pay a full pallet shipping charge. A pallet is 42 bags so if we buy 30 bags we still pay the shipping rate as if it was a 42 bag order. So it would be great if we can get 42 bags to order to lower the shipping cost per bag.

Below is a list of how many bags we currently have ordered. Details on payment will follow. Details on how to pick up your grains will also Follow. The grains will be delivered to Lowellville, Ohio right off of 422, 2-3 miles from the PA border.

Please check this original posting often as it will be updated as needed.

Bag Count:

pola0502ds: (10) bags
Dave Mathews: (5) bags
KPR121: (1) pilsner, (1) 2-row, hops
shanecb: (1) bag
Super Junior: (2) 2-Row
Logdrum: (2) CM 2-Row, (1) CM Pale, (1/2) Vienna
AKurk: (1) CM-pale, (1/2) Vienna
Sdragon980: (1) bag

Total so far: 26

Bags needed to fill order: 16

1/2 sacks that are still avaiable:
No half sacks at the moment

(If no one calms any of the 1/2 sacks, I will purchase them all within reason)

Home Brewers cannot order any Briess Products - Don't ask, i don't get it either.:mad:

Update: Below is a link for the price list from Country Malt. All prices will have to be checked prior to making the order as I hear they can change fast.

(Since we are going to order 42 bags that puts us at the 2100# mark which allows us to receive even a larger discount. When you look at the pricing you should be looking at what the price is under the 2000# - 4000# pound column):rockin:

Price List updated as of 8/2/11

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/downloads/NC On-Line 2011 080211.pdf

I don't have an account w NCM, but I would like to get in on this buy; I live in the Cleveland area.

-d

I'll keep track of everyone interested. I wonder if big companies like morebeer get discounts on large orders

I am going to subscribe here. I am having a financial crises at the moment but maybe things will be better by the time you sort it all out. I am in Pitt but head back to Boardman to hang out with friends there on occasion.

Please see original posting, we can now purchase from Country Malt Group. Grain, hops, chemicals, flavorings, etc. Try to list how many bags you want, trying to hit 40. Will post pricing once i receive it.

I will keep updating the original posting with the number of bags we currently have.

Just a quick question (I may be interested), would you prefer that we pick up our bags the day they are delivered, or would it be possible for them to be held somewhere for a few days? I'm in Pittsburgh, and just not sure how often I'd be able to get over to the area.

The grain will be left where I work, i'm not going to load them up in my car and take them home with me. During the week, you would need to pick them up by 5:30 or call and make arrangements. I would be willing to stay late. On the weekend, call and make arrangements.

The other possiblity is that depending on how many people from pittsburgh order, i would be willing to drive them down. I am in pittsburgh very often for work visiting job sites, etc.. If the number of people is not large, if your willing to wait I would drive them down but it would have to be on a day where I am already traveling to the pittsburgh area. I'd say i'm in pittsburgh once a week and sometimes even more.

I am in Pittsburgh and would probably be interested in a bag each of Pilsner/2-Row and maybe some hops. I don't have great access to a vehicle right now so if someone was to bring some into town that would be a plus.

Dumb question: Do all the grains per pallet need to be of the same variety/malting group, or is it just a total of 40 bags on a pallet?

It's actually 42 bags. I just found this out as I got the price list. No, they don't all need to be the same.

So, per the price sheet our flat rate shipping charge is $110 + 20% for the fuel charge. 20% is $22 so thats $132 to have it delivered. It would be even more if I didn't have a forklift and loading dock.

So if we can fill a 42 bag order, the shipping charge per bag is $3.14, obviously any of these numbers can slightly change when we go to place the order.

Even with $3.14 added to each bag, you are still saving a crap load of money and there is no way you can go anywhere else and get it cheaper. If you can, i would love to know.

I am going to have to get in on this for at least a bag or two. I can't commit just yet tho. Have to talk with the wife.

I have contacted brew clubs in cleveland and akron. I couldn't find a email for the big one in pittsburgh. I contacted them to spread the word about this group buy.

The website is http://trashhomebrewers.org/ they don't meet until the coopers lake picnic at the end of the month and they don't seem to use the website much but yinz should come down to that. Ill be bringing some beer.

I don't have an account w NCM, but I would like to get in on this buy; I live in the Cleveland area.

-d

if logdrum commits then count me in for a sack of 2 row, maybe two. btw D I'm a lot closer to 422 then you, I just don't know if I can commit to the drive down until my work slows down. call me

Put me down for 2 CM 2ROW & 1 CM PALE. I'm willing to maybe split a Vienna if someone wants, depending.

-d

superjunior said:
if logdrum commits then count me in for a sack of 2 row, maybe two. btw D I'm a lot closer to 422 then you, I just don't know if I can commit to the drive down until my work slows down. call me

Either way is ok, I'll give you a call.

-d

Bag count is updated, looks like we only need 17 1/2 bags which should be easy to hit. I am really thought this thread would take off being that I'm offering this deal to pittsburgh, cleveland, akron, and anyone else that wants to drive up here..

Also, i wanted to mention that on the original posting I am going to list what 1/2 sacks 1/4 sacks, etc. are still avaiable to purchase.

Some people have sent me a PM stating that they will list what they need so it seems like we will hit our 42 bag order soon.

Sorry boss..

IF anyone is interested I would like a 1/2 or 1/4 bag of flaked items like rice, corn, and oats.

I would also like to split a bag of Thomas Faucett Oat Malt - This stuff is amazing!

Don't forget, you should be looking at pricing under the 2000# - 4000# column since we are getting 42 bags thats 2100#

UPDATE: Country Malt Price List updated - current through 8/2

Of course big car problems which means money problems and the ironic thing is this would save me money but I have to live brew to brew for now. I hope you guys do this regularly so I can jump on at some point and who knows maybe I'll sort something out.

Put me down for one sack of the Briess White Wheat Malt.

Are we doing hops as well? I would definitely get some of those if we are.

Shane,

I am going to have to look into this but other group buy threads are stating that briess products are not avaiable yet at the country malt location we are going to order from. Once I find out I will let you know, I will mark you down for one sack.

As far as hops go, we should be good to go as long as we stay under the 1 pallet weight limit. I am gonna order hops and chemicals too.

That's no problem. If Briess isn't available I'm good with using another maltster.

I'll probably throw on some hops as well, but need to look at the list and my supplies when I get home tomorrow. I'll let you know. Thanks for organizing this, by the way!

No problem, I'm just hopping we can get more people involved. i have my club meeting this saturday and hopefully people will order. If not, I will order another 5 bags to make my count at 15.

Would anyone have a problem if we paid shipping on say 30 bags if we can fill a 42 bag order. It would increase the shipping a dollar or so depending on the exact count.

Would anyone have a problem if we paid shipping on say 30 bags if we can fill a 42 bag order. It would increase the shipping a dollar or so depending on the exact count.

I don't have an issue w/ that, but OTOH I'm not in any particular hurry, so waiting it out doesn't bother me either. My experience is that these actually fill out pretty quickly.

-d

I willing to wait as well. Just want to get a fill.

The new jersey group buy, they fill up fast! They are on there 19th round.

Doesn't matter to me either way. I'd pay a bit more if need be (still comes out to be way better than I get from my LHBS).

I would like in on this if I could? Ill take one bag of briess two row and one bag of pale ale. I live way north near Lake Erie so its only a little over an hour drive for me. I can pick up for anyone else that lives near Ashtabula or wants to drive to me instead. Just PM me.

I would like in on this if I could? Ill take one bag of briess two row and one bag of pale ale. I live way north near Lake Erie so its only a little over an hour drive for me. I can pick up for anyone else that lives near Ashtabula or wants to drive to me instead. Just PM me.

Thanks for your offer of picking up anyone elses grain. Very nice of you.

You sure can get in on this group buy, no problem. Once we fill the order, I will layout more details.

FYI, briess products are not avaiable to home brewers. You will need to select a different brand. Don't ask, I don't get it either. I will mark you down for 1 bag as of now but please list what you would like to change it to.

Some people have been asking about half bags.

List what half bags you want and i will post them on the original posting. By the time we order and if no one else claims those half bags, I will.

I also wanted to mention to please keep checking the original posting as i will update it often as new bag requests come in and as I work out the details even further.

I am interested in purchasing starsan, if we can get enough people to order starsan and split the $15 hazard fee then it will be worth it. If not, you might as well buy it at your LHBS.

Yes it is, you can tell by the first line in the original posting. It tells you what date and time it was last updated. And if you really need to know you can compare that date and time to the last request for bags posted in this thread.

Back