Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just transferred to the keg from the pressure fermenter. The real chico is darn clean here under pressure! The Cascade is a tad Citrusy in this brew but it's young also. Going to try an oxygen free dose of gelatin this weekend and see if that helps clean it up a bit more. Either way this reminds me more of an American red (from what I've read) than an Irish red due to the Citrus notes. I'm eager to see how it turns out with some conditioning.
1000002177.jpg

Just transferred to the keg from the pressure fermenter. The real chico is darn clean here under pressure! The Cascade is a tad Citrusy in this brew but it's young also. Going to try an oxygen free dose of gelatin this weekend and see if that helps clean it up a bit more. Either way this reminds me more of an American red (from what I've read) than an Irish red due to the Citrus notes. I'm eager to see how it turns out with some conditioning.View attachment 842952
Sounds good, I'm sure it'll be great.
I've got mine ready and in the queue to put into the keezer as soon as my Scottish Ale kicks.

I wanted to report back. I take back everything I said about this being an American red. After 2 weeks in the keg, with gelatin, the flavors are right where they need to be. This is Flippin tasty! The Cascade has dropped out and now the malt is stealing the show. This brew definitely benefits from 2 weeks of cold conditioning with gelatin. I'll grab some drink pics in a bit and post. This will be the annual Irish red. Thank you for the great recipe!

Depends on the honey and where the bees collected the pollen.

I bought some orange blossom honey and used a pound of it in an amber ale and the orange flavor was overbearing.
I totally agree; I used wildflower honey, and I definitely got a floral essence in the background which was very pleasant. Otherwise, you won't notice it.

Last edited:
Back