3068 Weihenstephan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuggethead

Reaction score
I have a German Hefe in primary using this yeast at around 68F and it's been going for 14 days so far. It had enormous blow off the first 48 hours then settled, but after 14 days, it still looks like a jacuzzi. Never had fermentation this vigorous for this long before. Still looks good and smells great.
Anyone else have experience with this yeast.

Per Jamil's instruction I always ferment that yeast at 62F, but yes, it keeps going for a while and takes time for the krausen to fall.

Yea, this yeast definitely takes living organism to the next level. Bet if I tried, I could find a pulse.

I just moved it to my fermenter cooler, going to slow drop it to 65F, then to 62F after another 24 hours so not to shock the yeast to much. It smells real good, not to much of the aromas normally found in a fermenting Hefe, just the right balance (so far).

I fermented a batch of this at 68 and it turned out great. Medium amounts of clove and banana. It was so vigorous that it clogged my blowoff even and pressurized it until the stopper blew off and hit the ceiling. It was a weizenbock though, so a little more stuff for the yeast to go crazy on. :)

Know I always use a 1" blow off just to alleviate the blockage issue, especially when using a yeast that I haven't used before.

I'm brewing a hefe with this yeast now. I had heard about how energetic it was so I used a blowoff tube into a flask with sanitizer instead of an airlock. It started fermenting within 10 hours and rose to 68 even though the ambient temperature was 60-62. It drastically slowed within 2-3 days though and the temperature dropped to 62-64 which is where I wanted it to be. It's been 5 days now and there is no signs of fermentation at all. One other thing I noticed was that from 24-48 hours it gave off the most horrible sulfur aroma but that has gone away now.

This yeast always needs a blow off over the first 72 hours. I've fermented with this yeast about 5 times over the last year, and all of them have needed blow off. I've fermented between 68 and 75 degrees. You definietly want to keep it on the low end of it's ideal temp.

I have a German Hefe in primary using this yeast at around 68F and it's been going for 14 days so far. It had enormous blow off the first 48 hours then settled, but after 14 days, it still looks like a jacuzzi. Never had fermentation this vigorous for this long before. Still looks good and smells great.
Anyone else have experience with this yeast.

Yes, this same thing happened to me when using this Weihenstephan yeast.

I made 5-gal batch of dunkelweizen, placed it into a 6.5 gal fermenter bucket, pitched the yeast, and I had blowoff/krausen coming through the airlock within 24-hours!

Now I use a blowoff tube for everything for the first few days.

This is one of the 4 yeasts that I keep cultures of, and in experimenting I've literally blown the top of the bucket off and shot yeast goop all over my ceiling, which is still there since I have that gd popcorn ceiling.

Anyway, this is a pretty resiliant yeast, and the sweetspot is somewhere in the low 60s, I shoot for 63+-

Fermented in the mid to high 50s pitched high they get pissed off and kick out a sulfur stink.

Back