Alaskan White

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
Alaskan Beers have introduced a new brew. White. Its an American Wit beer.

Its one damn good beer. I highly suggest you try it

It sucks that they and Midnight Sun dont get the circulation they deserve.

I was at the Oregon Brew and BBQ last weekend. It was one of the standouts to me. It's the only beer that has coriander in it that I've actually liked and would drink more than one.

I got to try a bunch of beer, but there wasn't one stout at the whole thing. Can you believe it? :confused:

I've only had the Midnight Sun barely wine. I think I should have let that one age some, but it was still good.

I'm not really a fan... It's gotten better over the last couple years though.

It also really irks me they discontinued the year-round ESB for it.

Alaskan Amber was my go-to beer when I lived up North. I made a recent trip to Fairbanks and discovered Alaskan White. Good stuff! I think I made a significant dent in the local supply of Smoked Porter, also!

Had this for the first time on my last trip up to Juneau and it was most excellent. Even friends and family who like little more than Labatt Blue enjoyed it. I'd love to brew a batch if anyone has a line on anything resembling a clone recipe.

Alaskan Amber is the only beer Alaskan brews that I cannot stand. Im not sure what the flavour is but its just off to me.

Alaskan Beers have introduced a new brew. White. Its an American Wit beer.

Its one damn good beer. I highly suggest you try it

I agree totally. I reviewed it here. I think I will buy a 6 pack next time around. FWIW, I think the Alaskan Summer ale kicks butt too.

American wit is sharp, biting, and full of sarcasm. Belgian wit is weird and European, sometimes oddly German, and other times dryly French and humorless.

Alaskan Beers-

White
IPA
PA
Summer
Winter

Alaskan Is one great beer company. However if Midnight sun had their Distro Im sure they would be in the running with Stone

Alaskan Beers-

White
IPA
PA
Summer
Winter
What about the Stout? Or the most award winning beer at GABF, Smoked Porter? Barleywine?

However if Midnight sun had their Distro Im sure they would be in the running with Stone

Yeah, Midnight Sun is great, best brewery in Alaska by far (I'd say Alaskan brewery but that'd just be confusing :p ). Since they switched from Odom to Specialty Imports their distribution has gotten better... I can actually find it on draft locally and some of the specialty stuff in bombers actually make it down, though not much. They have trouble keeping up with demand in Alaska as it is... not to mention they don't have the biggest staff (they just grew to 14 from 8 with the new place).

I got to help a couple of the brewers when they brewed at 21st Amendment in San Francisco in Feb. The Belgian Triple IPA they brewed turned out pretty amazing tasting. I took a tour of the new brewery when I was up in Anchorage a few weeks ago, it's shaping up pretty nice and they got a couple new tanks which is cool. I talked with the brewers about new things they're going to be working on in the future and there's definitely no shortage of crazy ideas for great new beers. I'd love to see them grow a little more, I'm jealous we still don't even get the new Brew Crew series here. The Brewtality was fantastic... I hope they make it again. Great people and great beer.

Ive never had the stout but the BW is nice too. I was thinking of beers normally on tap and easiest to get.

I've only had their IPA, and was not impressed at all. My first thought when I drank it was Budweiser. I've been wanting to try the Kolsch, but that bud thought keeps popping into my head. If I could get it in a Bomber i'd try it, but I'm hesitant to buy a 6 pack.

I've only had their IPA, and was not impressed at all. My first thought when I drank it was Budweiser. I've been wanting to try the Kolsch, but that bud thought keeps popping into my head. If I could get it in a Bomber i'd try it, but I'm hesitant to buy a 6 pack.

uh........ really? Their IPA is quite tasty and extremely bitter.

I find the Alskan Amber disapointing. The White was OK but I really don't like wheat in my beer. The IPA isn't anything to write home about. The stout is a very good basic stout.

The smoked porter kicks butt, and scrubs the floor with competitors scalps. If you do a lot of beer/ food stuff go ahead and pull the trigger on a sixer, the last four will hang out in the fridge with aplomb while you figure it out.

The Kolsch style summer is the only Kolsch I like. Iahve tried wevery commercial Kolsch brew commonly available in the US, brewed with Kolsch yeast twice, not my favorite style. The Alaskan Summer is drinkable, a compliment form me.

The Pale I rave about. You can cook Salmon any way you want and Alaskan Pale will pair up well. From sushi to cajun blackened, poached, grilled, fried, croquettes, doesn't matter. Planked, steamed, just bring it. Dill and shallots, mayo and cheddar, white wine reduction with escargot, come on. No matter how much salmon you have eaten, try any recipe swith a pint of Alaskan Pale beside it and prepare for a new dimension.

Plus it is quaffable alone. I lived in Oregon for a year, SoCal for two, I have probably tried 50 different Pale Ales over the years and the Alaskan, it just clicks.

I'll put in a plug for the winter ale with the spruce tips too. It isn't a session beer. It is probably a love it or hate it thing, maybe split a sixer with a bud. On really cold nights when you got a hard day tommorrow and you really should only have one or two in front of the fire tonight it's lighter than a brandywine or a heavy stout, but it has some zing to it that basic pale ales don't offer. I'll probably bring in two cases this fall when it is released.

I expect the White will outsell the ESB that no one really laments. With the Summer. Pale and Smoked Porter in the lineup the IPA will probably go next. I would also like to see them drop the stout and go with a lineup of seasonals. Midnight Sun is kinda doing that already, but I would love to see an export stout, a farm stout and maybe an Imperial come out of Juneau.

The Baltic Porter absolutely kicks butt. da*n, that stuff is awesome. The barleywine is pretty good for being a US style girly-man syrupy-sweet barleywine. I prefer the grainy Euro styles like Traquir House.

Maybe they could come up with a winter stout. The smoked porter and the winter ale are both very good, but I wonder what they can really come up with for cold dark winter nights, something both accessible and sophisticated. Then run a dry stout in the summer...

Midnight Sun makes some stuff I really like and some stuff I really don't, but when they release something new I will at least try it. I liked the Arctic Rhino, but I usually have to work in the morning.

I thought the smoke flavor in Alaska Smoked Porter was too pronounced.
My wife really likes the lighter bodied Alaskan Amber, we discovered that beer on tap at The Milton Tavern when we lived near it years ago. I think the amber's a good beer but a bit light for my taste now.

Alaskan Amber was my go-to beer when I lived up North. I made a recent trip to Fairbanks and discovered Alaskan White. Good stuff! I think I made a significant dent in the local supply of Smoked Porter, also!

I have an Alaskan Amber fermenting right now. Can't wait for it to finish! I miss Alaska.... :(

One of my best friends growing up is now a brewer at Alaskan. He loves his job, of course. He told me that the brewery has a small setup that they let the employees brew small batches on. He also told me that the Smoked Porter is killer when aged awhile. I need to get him to mail me some, since we don't get it here in SC.

Tried the Alaskan White tonight...not exactly my taste in a wheat beer. I prefer the Hoegaarden style of wheat beer.

Come to think of it...haven't liked any of the Alaskan beers I've tried. The Amber is way to sweet.

Latest posts

Back