Hop bine dead??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so my hop farmer(my dad) told me he ran 2 bines up our string and on one plant it seems that one bine seemed to have strangled and killed the 2nd bine i have not seen it for myself but has anyone ever experience this? is it possible? they are first year hops.

Haven't seen it myself with hops, but I have with other plants. I have seen sidearms get trapped between the bines.

so my hop farmer(my dad) told me he ran 2 bines up our string and on one plant it seems that one bine seemed to have strangled and killed the 2nd bine i have not seen it for myself but has anyone ever experience this? is it possible? they are first year hops.

Check the base of the bine that died to see if it was chewed off. Cutworms can cut the bine just below the soil line.

Check the base of the bine that died to see if it was chewed off. Cutworms can cut the bine just below the soil line.

So after further review my father said it looked like he hit the bottom with the weed wacker becuse it was damaged at the bottom but he swears he doesn't go that close. he told me this prior to reading your post clonefarmer, now after reading your post this will have to investigate further. Is there anything else you or anyone else can tell me about this worm. prevention or other signs other than more of my hops killing over.:mad:
thanks to all for any other help

Back