Dogfish IPA Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always liked the Sam Adams glases they released a couple years ago and this is very close to that concept. I'm going to get one.

I think it looks comfortable with that hand grip style...

I actually went to the release event last night with the folks from Riedel, Sam Calagione, and Ken Grossman. After my beer nerd chub settled, they started a tasting with these glasses vs. a standard pint glass and a Riedel (Spiegelau, but it's a subsidiary of Riedel) tulip. Let me tell you, the difference in aroma, mouthfeel, and overall taste is pretty amazing. When you went from the new IPA glass back to the pint glass, it was as if the beer had no aroma whatsoever. They are strange looking, but they're very comfortable in the hand. Got to take away 4 glasses from the event, many thanks to the great folks at Spiegelau/Riedel for putting this on.

I just saw them on their site today while shopping. Look pretty cool to me and I'm anxious to try one!

ordered 4 when i saw them...hype?? maybe but i love narrow bottomed glasses like the SA pint.
They give you great aroma and the glass DOES make a difference

PLUS im a sucker for nice glsasware

Just don't put them in the dishwasher! The graphics will get wiped out almost immediately, like they did on my last DFH glass that the SWMBO chucked in the dishwasher.

I think I might order one from Sierra Nevada, since the shipping is a little cheaper. Actually, I wonder if Bevmo will start stocking them, since they carry SN glassware.

These are quite interesting but I personally like the look and effect of my Samuel Adams glasses more. I may get one of these just to try it out though.

Got mine, just poured a victory hop wallop. Am currently waiting for the head to settle out a bit but I was very happy with my pour

558112_10151408767818961_1805466145_n.jpg

Just picked up a pair from Sierra Nevada. Will be washing off the logo just because I don't want any confusion when drinking my homebrew. Appearance can mean a lot, and someone seeing SNBC might think differently about my beer. I thought about ordering 100 at Dogfish since the shipping never changed and stayed at 9 bucks, but I don't want to be a total ******.

Just picked up a pair from Sierra Nevada. Will be washing off the logo just because I don't want any confusion when drinking my homebrew. Appearance can mean a lot, and someone seeing SNBC might think differently about my beer. I thought about ordering 100 at Dogfish since the shipping never changed and stayed at 9 bucks, but I don't want to be a total ******.

Looked up the manufactures web site and they are taking pre orders for a non logo glass. The cost was $25 for two with delivery in May. Shipping was somewhere around $12. So if you want one without the Logo.

http://www.riedelusa.net/index.php/frontcategories/newitems/spiegelau-ipa-glass.html

I'm sorry, it looks like a sex toy to me

Exactly my first thought as well!

On the more serious side, for those who actually have one of these: are they made out of a good solid feeling glass? I had a couple of the DFH snifters and they were wicked fragile...ended up breaking both of them in fairly short order. I haven't broken a regular pint (or even any other "special" glasses, like Chimay or Ommegang glasses) in god knows how long...

Looked up the manufactures web site and they are taking pre orders for a non logo glass. The cost was $25 for two with delivery in May. Shipping was somewhere around $12. So if you want one without the Logo.

http://www.riedelusa.net/index.php/frontcategories/newitems/spiegelau-ipa-glass.html

Why spend 3 more bucks and weight 3 more months? Maybe if Shipping is free it would be worth it. But I can order 3 DF IPA glasses for 27 bucks plus 10 bucks for shipping, so the same price as to get 2 without a logo.

Exactly my first thought as well!

On the more serious side, for those who actually have one of these: are they made out of a good solid feeling glass? I had a couple of the DFH snifters and they were wicked fragile...ended up breaking both of them in fairly short order. I haven't broken a regular pint (or even any other "special" glasses, like Chimay or Ommegang glasses) in god knows how long...

They're very light. Super light. So I would imagine you have to be careful with it. Seems like based on resonance it's built a lot like a white wine glass.

I'm very happy with it so far. I have noticed that my flavors I've gotten seem much better. Could be 100% in my head of course, but I got much more hop flavor (not just bitterness) from Hop Wallop than in the past. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow when I get to try a loose cannon in it. Today I did Six Point's Toxic Sludge which is a black IPA and it boosted the nose on that as well. It's really a well designed glass and I'm extra happy it has the laser etched logo because the head never dies in the glass and the ridges help aerate the beer. Down side is that the last bit of the beer almost always turns to head that takes a long time to settle.

Why spend 3 more bucks and weight 3 more months? Maybe if Shipping is free it would be worth it. But I can order 3 DF IPA glasses for 27 bucks plus 10 bucks for shipping, so the same price as to get 2 without a logo.

I wasn't recommending them at all. You wanted a non logo glass. This was one way to do it. If you have a way to remove the logo, then ignore this method.

I ordered 2 and tried it out this weekend. While I like the look the overall product to me was not that great. The glass is way to thin up top and the handle is too small...

I bought two while we were at Sierra Nevada last weekend. Personally, I really like them. They feel like very nice glassware. The Sierra version has a hop cone laser etched in the bottom.

As a solution to an engineering problem, I've gotta give 'em props. Even without ever having used one, I know that wine glass shape up top is great for holding and concentrating aromas, and the aeration ridges are a neat trick.

It's too bad it looks like a prop from a '70s low-budget Star Wars knock-off.

Got mine today. Like was said above, the glass is really thin. I doubt I keep this unbroken for long. But I do like the etched dogfish symbol on the bottom. Pretty cool.

dog.jpg

I did end up getting mine today from Sierra Nevada. They are thin, but they're a nice quality. Smaller than I thought they'd be, but it keeps the glass from getting too heavy full so you can do sort of a two finger hold like you're swirling a glass of wine.

Couldn't resist picking up a pair of the Dogfishhead branded glasses, and they arrived today.

As has been noted, they are quite thin walled. And very light - at 6.3 ounces, far lighter than my Sam Adams glasses at 10.9 ounces. My wife's first reaction was "Well they're going to break". (As it was Valentine's Day I didn't retort with "Not if you don't use them!" ;) )

I noted earlier in this thread that the design wasn't all that visually pleasing to me, and I still feel the same way - though they are growing on me. There's definitely a discordance - the busily rippled stem quickly transitions to the long graceful curve of the bowl, and to me they just don't seem to get along.

That said, they are very comfortable in the hand and equally secure - little chance of having one slip through your fingers. You can easily hold the glass with just thumb and forefinger, which helps keep the beer cooler longer than grasping it with the full hand.

Anyway, stacked up against my SA glasses, these come in a solid second. The SA glasses have a far more refined and coherent - dare I say professionally designed and produced - look to them, and they are much sturdier (I have a dozen of them and we've yet to have one break).

But, as I said, the DFH glasses are kinda growing on me, so they'll see their share of the action - as long as they remain intact.

However, considering half of my SA glasses were "free" and the others cost $8 on top of enjoyable trips to Jamaica Plain, it's unlikely I'll add any more of these $14 models to the glass collection...

Cheers!

I'd have to see a significant difference in aroma and flavor perception from the Belgian goblet/snifter glass to consider these. I imagine compared to a pint glass anything bowl shaped has to be better. Either way, good to hear those who bought them like them.

I'm a big fan of this glass. Spiegalau glasses are the ****. If you haven't done a side by side with a pint glass you don't know what you're missing. Not sure if I like this one better than their tulip yet as I haven't done a side by side yet. Not the most attractive glass but I like the handle. Fits really well in your hand and makes you want to keep it in your hand rather than set it down. Could be a bad thing for I guess!

IMAG0496.jpg

Funny, I've had this glass for a couple of years. Picked it up because I thought it was weird

ForumRunner_20130223_001730.jpg

Back