bottles coated in white film?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celtic_dude

Reaction score
I was given a bunch of bottles by a buddy of mine. I put them in 2 coolers overnight with oxyclean to remove the label and clean the bottles. I went to check on them and they are all coated with a gritty white film. Did I do something wrong? :(

The only thing wrong was that the bottle haven't been rinsed enough. I have hard water and it takes a few rinses to get oxiclean off bottles. Also, don't let them dry with a coating of oxiclean or you get the film. If rinsing fails to remove it, mix up some vinegar and water and give them a rinse with that before rinsing with water.

+1 on hard water and film. Lots of folks with harder water have more issues with rinsing the oxyclean off.

Like they said it's pretty common, it happens with hard water, though they neglected to mention that the easiest way to remove them is to soak them for a few minutes in a weak acid solution...I just fill my sike with water and a little bit of Starsan, others use water and vinegar, I guess even water and lemon juice could work.

My routine is to pull them out of the oxyclean bath, use my jet bottle washer to rinse the insides of the bottles, then I rinse the outsides thoroughly with the sprayer.

After that I submerge a bottle in the sink with starsan, and do another bottle...when I get 5 or 6 in the sink, I drain them and box them.

Some of them may take a couple dunk/rinses t get the scale off...but most are fine after a few minutes.

I do NOT count the bottles as sanitized though, they very well MAY be but I never calculate wheter or not I'm at the proper sanitizer dillution (I literally just put a couple drops in the water and let it foam). Plus I don't want to get of my normal sanitization process, and the bottles may sit for a couple months any way.

But the weak acid cuts the scale.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I ended up giving all the bottles a bath in vinegar and water. The bottles are clear. Now I can box them up and wait for bottling day and with sanitize them then. Thanks again :)

I just recently started getting the OxyClean "scale" on my buckets, carboys and bottles after almost a year of using it with no problems at all. Now I start to get deposits on my glass after soaking just a couple hours, and it's pretty much impossible to get off. I'll try the vinegar and see if that takes it off, but anyone know why this would suddenly just start happening? I don't think my water hardness could have changed that drastically so quickly, on city water...thanks in advance for any advice.

Latest posts

Back