I need some help with my logo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
Hi all,

I started playing around with Inkscape yesterday and have gotten pretty far on my logo. Here is what I have so far:

Logo_Gnome_III.png

I can't figure out how to make the area where the gnome meets the barrel look normal. I think some kind of shading or something would do it but can't figure it out and don't know any tricks. (This is my first practice with vector art)

If someone knows how to do it, please let me know. Any ideas would be great. Also, if anyone is interested in helping me out, I can send the SVG file...

Thanks guys, Justin :tank:

If you want to send me what you have (highest resolution) in a PM, I'd take a swipe at tweaking your gnome!

Boy, that came out really bad...

i can see two issues:

first, the perspective is different for the 2 pictures...the gnome is pictured from straight ahead, while the keg is taken from above...so it'll look a little wonky no matter what.

second, the right side of the gnome's body shouldnt be cut off to fit the contour of the barrel, if he's leaning he'd be in front of it, so you'd see the rest of his shirt on the right side (instead of it being cropped of, like it looks now)

Ok, I found a new barrel image and I think it is a bit better for the perspective issue.

Logo_Gnome_III1.png

Now the colors are my main issue. The barrel looks much brighter than the gnome... This is fun, I haven't learned a new program in a long time.

Much better fit, perspective-wise.

I'll take a crack at the color and shadows this evening, and hopefully it'll help.

Photoshop (or similar) would be better for this task as it's not actually a vector.

Try fiddling with the brightness/contrast on each item and it ay get you a little closer.

Also try getting rid of the white flash between the gnome and the keg, zoom right in and do a little at a time.

Well, it's the best I can do with such low-res images. The barrel is a different color space, and has lighting from a different angle.

May print OK.

Logo_Gnome_III copy.jpg

Way too low of resolution to trace.

Tracing is only as good as the original image. It was banded pretty badly, pro'lly from being a 256 color GIF originally.

That looks awesome!!!

Shouldn't it already be in vector form if I attached it as an inkscape file? I thought the idea of using Inkscape was so you could resize...

hmmm.... I just checked and I can make this thing HUGE. Did I attach the wrong kind of file?

It looks raster to me, but what formats does Inkscape export?

If it can do an AI, CDR, EPS, or other standard formats, I suppose it could be vector.

Raster images can be made huge, but they get severely pixelated. What format were the original barrel and gnome in (jpg?)

The original barrel and gnome were indeed jpg. The files in Inkscape save as .svg files.... I don't really know what that means.

Here is what Inkscape has to say:

Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) is an open, industry-standard XML-based format for vector graphics developed by the W3C. Its acceptance is growing fast. Most vector editors these days can import and export SVG, and modern browsers (such as Firefox and Opera) can display it directly, i.e. without requiring any plugins. (For Internet Explorer, there's an SVG Viewer plugin from Adobe.) For more information, see #SVG topics below.

I think my drawing is in vector format, but when I export it, it is converted to a bitmap the size I indicate.... so the one I posted here is a bitmap, but on my comp it is an svg.

Yep, the input was jpg, so the files are raster, unless traced by a vector art program.

Saving as SVG does not make them vector. Can you send the SVG's to me, or the original JPG's? I can try tracing with Illustrator and reassembling.

I would have a space for some brewery info or something...

I am not a fan of the font (but that's my opinion). I like the one I sent better :)

What are you going to use this logo on? How big is it going to be?

Your tap handle design is excellent, BTW. I bet if you printed that one out to "bottle label size" and paste it on a bottle you'd be proud.

Thanks R2! I am not set on any of it yet... I don't have a use for it. Just playing around. I like that print block I came up with for the label though that could be handy.

Name_Plate_900x173.png

Back