Kokanee clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fadeux

Reaction score
Anyone happen to know where I could find a recipe or a kit for a Kokanee clone? It's a Canadian beer, and one of the best lagers I have had in my life. I can't find it in my region, so maybe try to clone it? I doubt anyone can help me out, but I still thought I would ask...

To do a decent example of that type of a lager you'll need to make an all grain mashed brew, have excellent temperture control for your fermentation as well as a host of other minor details that would influence your brew.

I should add that is that type of beer that got me into brewing in the first place, and although it took a while to do, I'm getting to the point of making those kind of brews a success.

Wait, do you mean AG as in agriculture? In that case no. Im brand new to this, and from the clone kits I've seen, I guess I just have it in my mind that someone can send me a kit, and I can follow the directions, and have something like Kokanee. Anyway, just thought I'd throw the question out there. Obviously I have a lot to learn. I think/hope I am in the right place.

Wait, do you mean AG as in agriculture? In that case no. Im brand new to this, and from the clone kits I've seen, I guess I just have it in my mind that someone can send me a kit, and I can follow the directions, and have something like Kokanee. Anyway, just thought I'd throw the question out there. Obviously I have a lot to learn. I think/hope I am in the right place.

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I somehow stumbled upon it, and actually one of my first brews ended up pretty much being a kokanee clone by mistake. My friend actually mistaked it as kokanee when he first drank it. really easy to make too.

- 4.5 lbs dry light extract
- 1 lb rice syrup
- 1oz willamette @ 30 mins left
- 1oz fuggles @ 15 min left
- us safale 05

If you happen to try it, let me know, thatd be awesome.

There's a Labatt Blue clone in BYO 150 Clones issue. I'd say that the grain/rice bill and hop types would be similar.

I'm really not wanting to sound like a beer snob at all (especially since an ice-cold Okey-Dokey is my commericial lager of choice at the pub), but most Canadian lagers taste very similarly. Finding a recipe, like the one in BYO, might be a good start to working on a Kokanee-esque brew.

Good luck and I'll post one if I can find one.

Back