hops trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchomebrew

Reaction score
i am beginning to think about a hop trellis for next planting season. i'd rather not have a tall, gaudy pole, wires in my yard. anyone had success with fence row height trellises? can the vines be trained horizontally?

I'm a first year grower, and also didn't want a huge pole contraption in my (parent's) yard, although it ended up being pretty big anyway. My design actually turned out to be pretty successful, I have a thread with about 8 pics here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=72565
I trained my bines horizontally, but Only after they had enough slack to continue growing upwards (I'd let them grow 3 feet, then train them 2.5 feet to the side so there'd still be 6" or so pointing up, let them grow another few feet, repeat, etc etc etc).

All four of my plants have started to show cone production, one of which (Chinook) has probably more than 50 baby cones on it now, and a different plant (Centennial) has about 25 that are about half the size of my thumb. Using the horizontal training along my trellis net gave the plants much more room to grow, which seems to be great since the tallest one has the most cones.

So uh...in short....."yes".

nchomebrew, Check out my gallery. I have most of my hops growing along a privacy fence. You just need to get out there, and train them around the rope, as they get longer.

Im thinking of jumping on the wagon next year and would only be able to grow horizontally. Thanks for the ideas!

I didn't want a tall pole in my yard either. this is how I did it.

Hopgarden2008_005.jpg

Hopgarden2008_035.jpg

Hopgarden2008_034.jpg

Hopgarden2008_038.jpg

I did something similar... in the spring and now. The latice is backed by chicken wire to keep the rabbits out, the latice is to keep my dog out (and it just looks nice). The tomatoes took over a little so next year I'm going to either add another one for my vegetabel garden or just go bigger overall. When the hops made it to the top (8' tall, next year I'll do at least 10' if not 12') I just let them droop over the top, and after about 2' of them dangling, they started to climb back up there own vine. I had two cascade so I just trained them towards each other.

trellis1.jpg

hop-garden.jpg

hop-garden3.jpg

hop-garden2.jpg

Back