Deadguy, is it just me or does it not taste good in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheH2

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite beers (I have a lot of one of my favorites) on tap. The bar that I used to get it at shut down and finally found another place that had it last Thursday. It was of course fantastic. Why are the bottles that I've bought always disappointing - Harris Teeter (22oz), Total Wine & More (6 pack), somewhere else (6 pack). I did pour the bottle into a glass.

Has anyone else had this problem? Granted I don't buy much beer anymore but while I was drinking it all I could think of was why it didn't taste that good in the bottle.

Figured someone here would have a theory. And, this is one of the reasons I haven't tried to brew a clone of it.

This is too funny, well not really. My buddy said that he thought he may have had a bad 6 pack the other day. He forgot to save me one for a second opinion, oh well.

I've never had it on tap; only in 6packs and 22oz's. Funny thing is I've noticed in both of the 22's I've bought, which were purchased at different times from different stores, the beer was really sweet. I don't see how bottling in different size bottles would make any difference but man they were almost cloyingly sweet.

I tried it once years ago (from a bottle) and thought it sucked. I really like Rogue's other offerings so I have chalked this up to either a skunked sixer or my palette being to green and inexperienced to appreciate it at the time (though I do recall enjoying arrogant bastard during the same time period). Interesting that I'm not the only one. I probably will try it on draft some day.

I generally get it by the 6 and it's always tasty....enjoy it on tap too. Well, 'cept for at one local bar that doesn't keep the cleanest tap lines. We do seem to get a fairly massive amount of Rogue product in our area and the turn-over is usually pretty good.

I will say I liked my version better ;)

I generally get it by the 6 and it's always tasty....enjoy it on tap too. Well, 'cept for at one local bar that doesn't keep the cleanest tap lines. We do seem to get a fairly massive amount of Rogue product in our area and the turn-over is usually pretty good.

I will say I liked my version better ;)

Do you feel like an ass when you tell a bartender the tap lines are dirty and need to be cleaned?

I think some beers taste a lot better on tap. Dead Guy isn't bad in the bottle but on tap I think it has more of a hop bite and finishes a little crisper.

I've noticed the difference as well..AND I've also noticed that my Clone tastes better than the bottled deadguy also. I think it has to do with freshness, the kegged DG and MY Dg are probably newer than the stuff sitting on shelves at my local beer stores.

I've noticed the difference as well..AND I've also noticed that my Clone tastes better than the bottled deadguy also. I think it has to do with freshness, the kegged DG and MY Dg are probably newer than the stuff sitting on shelves at my local beer stores.

It's entirely possible that they use different recipes for bottle & keg, or at least a different finishing.

I remember as a kid soda tasting fantastic out of a glass bottle, and meh out of anything else (pepsi, diet pepsi especially always tasted rich and delicious. Out of the can or plastic it tastes thin and watery). Turns out they used different formulas for canned, glass, and plastic.

I definitely agree that most beers are better on tap but this isn't even close. I've never liked a beer on tap and actually not liked it in the bottle. Maybe they need a new distributor. I've only tried one of Rogue's other brews b/c I can't find them on tap here and won't purchase them in the bottle.

If you've only had it in the bottle definitely get it on tap, I think you will enjoy.

I JUST had a bottle last night with my gf. The big 22oz to be exact.

We both found it a little harsh/strong.. not really able to describe the taste/feeling drinking it.

I'd be inclined to give it one more shot from a tap but bottled, doubtfull.

I had always had it on tap, and I loved it. I bought a 6-pack a few weeks ago and tried it in the bottle............loved it. Guess I'm just not as picky as you chicks............Burn! ;)

I think it might have to do with how it's carbed, because the only time I thought, "this is pretty good," is when I tried it at a brewing festival. Other than that it's of course been better than BMC beers...but isn't featured on my beer shopping list.

Back