CB container wih spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwillz

Reaction score
I realllly want to setup a continuous brew for my kombucha but i need some advice about suitable containers. I know they must not contain metal, and it's best for a glass container.

I saw one in target with a spigot but wasn't sure if their would be any type of metal in the spigot like a washer or something. Does anyone have advice as to what type or brand container I should not buy? This container seemed to have an all plastic spigot but it had that fake chrome plastic on it

I don't have any suggestions, since I don't have a CB. I have been looking at oak barrels, but they aren't cheap and you can't buy them Target lol but they are all wood and use wood spigots.

I would say, if seems questionable, it is better to err on the side of caution.
You don't have any idea what is in the plastic chrome plating.
However, you could get that container if you like it, and replace the spigot.

kyt said:
I don't have any suggestions, since I don't have a CB. I have been looking at oak barrels, but they aren't cheap and you can't buy them Target lol but they are all wood and use wood spigots. I would say, if seems questionable, it is better to err on the side of caution. You don't have any idea what is in the plastic chrome plating. However, you could get that container if you like it, and replace the spigot.

That is true, I have seen the replacement spigots online. I definitely like glass cause I like looking at the tea haha.

How does kombucha do with a wooden barrel?

My other issue is whatever I get must fit on top of my fridge or in my cabinet with a heat source of some sort, due to the winter weather dropping temperatures in my apt.

That is true, I have seen the replacement spigots online. I definitely like glass cause I like looking at the tea haha.

How does kombucha do with a wooden barrel?

My other issue is whatever I get must fit on top of my fridge or in my cabinet with a heat source of some sort, due to the winter weather dropping temperatures in my apt.

Yea I like glass because I can see through it too. Lol but barrels can hold more volume.

Supposedly it does great because the wood breathes and lets oxygen into the solution under the SCOBY. But I don't have one yet.

I figured I would give an update. I bought the container and have been using the CB system for a few weeks now. I have created a small heated environment for the winter time and it's doing well so far. Before I wasn't seeing much growth with the scoby (probably made dormant by the improper mixture I had with my batch setup) but it is now growing bigger and faster which is great. I've been bottling 2 or 3 bottles every 3-4 days while the batch is kept between 75-77F which is also good because I'm still trying to experiment with timing and flavoring.

Any who, here is a pic of my funny little setup.

image-1380549203.jpg

Those are two liquor bottles that I had with 15 Xmas bulbs in each for a small heat source, and hey are connected to a timer. 2hrs on 30min off until it gets colder. I may insulate with foam board in the colder months.

There's a thermometer for a temperature estimate.

And the little cup on the left is my apple "cider vinegar-dish soap" fruit fly trap for any that DARE get close to "Scotty", yes I named my scoby!

In the summer time I have a hole that I will put a computer fan in to circulate air, but that's some time away.

Let me know what you think! I'm pretty happy with the results so far!

Lol that's very cool.
I like the light bottles, it's very deco-functional!

Lots of people name their scobys.

Back