cold crashing and dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninkasi2012

Reaction score
I want to try cold crashing my smash (vienna/Northern brewer). I also want to dry hop it. I was told you should cold crash for 5-7 days. If so do i still dry hop 5 days before bottling? Is dry hopping efficient while the beer is cold crashing?

does anyone have any idea of what hop would go well with my vienna/northern brewer smash for dry hopping?? I'm out of Northern brewer.

thanks!

I usually dry hop for a couple days before I cold crash. Then leave the dry hops in there while cold crashing. This works well for me.

I recently heard a good idea of cold crashing prior to dryhopping to drop out as much yeast as possible and limit the opportunity for the yeast cells to coat the dryhops. Then rack to secondary, raise the beer back to 68 F, and dryhop.

I personally tend to use "moderately high to very high floc" yeasts in my IPAs and I get very clear beers by skipping cold crashing and racking to secondary altogether. I ferment in the low to mid 60's and dryhop directly in the primary at 66-68 F. I feel that dryhopping in the upper 60's provides the best aroma. You just have to be careful with racking once the beer is complete and avoid agitation of the primary at all costs. Dryhopping and racking at counter height with a nylon mesh paint strainer bag wrapped around the autosiphon helps with this goal.

does anyone have any idea of what hop would go well with my vienna/northern brewer smash for dry hopping?? I'm out of Northern brewer.

That kind of defeats the purpose of a SMaSH brew. But it depends what you have on hand as a subsitute, or what particular aromas you're after. Let us know.

Thanks for the tips guys. In terms of dry hopping I have a ton of hops - citra/centennial/tettnanger/saaz/EKG/amarillo/fuggles..just wasn't sure what aromas would work with NB

Back