repitching yeast ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy

Reaction score
I been seeing posts here about re-pitching your yeast. I've been using dried yeast and just buy a new batch when I get my grains and extracts. I didn't know you could reuse the yeast. But, for only a buck a pack for yeast it doesn't seem like you'd save any money and would be a big pain. Or is it? Is this something I need to consider and, if so, how do I do it?

On a side note, I've read that years ago people would use the yeast from fermenters after making beer to make bread. I'm wondering if it's the same idea. Still don't know how it would be done. But it be something fun to try. :D

You can reuse your yeast. Search for "yeast washing" (or look at the Wiki) for loads of info. Or, you can just pitch a new batch directly onto the yeast cake.

There's not much benefit with reusing dried yeast...as you've pointed out, it's pretty cheap. But when using liquid yeasts at $7-8 a pop, it makes more sense.

It's also a valuable practice if you get your hands on a hard to find strain, like harvesting it from comercial bottles.

libs said:
It's also a valuable practice if you get your hands on a hard to find strain, like harvesting it from comercial bottles.

Yeah, if anyone has "La Fin du Monde" yeast or "Trois Pistoles" yeast, we should chat...

Even if you're not going to reuse THIS yeast I recommend you learn how to wash your yeast on it instead of one that you really want to keep.

At least you can get the procedures down and possibly feel more comfortable with the process when you finally want to do it for real. ;)

Back