More local Christmas beer exchange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent_in_Aurora

Reaction score
Due to the popularity with the concept of trading beers locally here in the Denver metro, lets get a second group going.

Please post what you would like to brew and we will trade in mid December.

I will brew a belgian quad, which I got from Williams Brewing. I did this beer last year and it was really tasty.

Brent -- Quad Belgian from Williams
blizzard -- Cherry Dubbel

I'd be down to make the cherry dubbel.

Edit: Is this along the same lines as the other "12 beers of Christmas" threads, or is this just an exchange of a wintery beer? I might switch up what I'm offering.

Here's the lineup from the first post on the original thread... I think its good to at least brew about half of these to keep it seasonal, but a good beer is a good beer regardless of season!

Some have expressed an interest in joining a local 12 beers of Christmas. We are doing this to cut back on costs of shipping and still enjoy the festivities and more importantly the beer. Below is a list of the beers. The one's with the asterix are the ones still available.

We don't have an exact date or meeting place yet but we can organize that down the road. Right now, the important thing is getting the beers going as some of these take time to mature.

1) Caramel Quadrupel- Eric
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel- Hernando cap marked with a cherry
3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock Option
4) Juniper Rye Bock- Chessking
5) Fruitcake Old Ale- Riored4v
6) Saffron Tripel-Bryan M
7) Christmas Gruit- jscottAT4
8) Honey Ginger IPA- Harry
9) Gingerbread Ale HerbieHowells
10) Spiced Bourbon Stout Sinkman
11) Abbey Weizen- Jeremy
Cheers & Good Fortune

I will go for the juniper rye bock! Look fwd to to it!

Ps, i will send an email to foam on the range... That will fill some slots!

Just putting this here so I can find it later.

Recipe: 2 Spiced Cherry Dubbel (extract + extras)
(All Grain option) Replace Pilsner extract wtih 10.6 lbs continental pilsener malt. Replace Munich extract wtih 1 lbs. Munich Malt. Mash at 149 oF, with the low mash temp, you may need to lengthen the rest time to 90 min. to get full conversion. Also increase pre-boil volume to allow for a 90-min. boil, which will help reduce DMS in beer)

Boil 60 min.
Pre-Boil volume 7 gallons

Pilsener LME 7.8 lbs 68.7%
Munich LME 0.8 lbs 7.0%
pinoncillo or turbinado sugar 1.2lbs 10%

Aromatic (20 oL) 0.5 lbs 4.4%
CaraMunich (60oL) 0.5 lbs 4.4%
Special "B" (120 oL) 0.5 lbs 4.4%

Tettnang 4% AA, 60 min. 1.5 oz.
Ceylon (true) cinnamon 0 min. 1 tsp.
combonation of sweet (black) cherries and sour (Montmorency) cherries 1 lbs/ gal good, 2 lbs/gallon better.

Yeast White Labs WLP530 or Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity

At extract, water and bag of crushed grains to the pot. Heat to 170 degrees and then remove grain bag.
Boil for 60 min. Add cinnamon and chill.
Ferment as close to 65 degrees as possible, then let temp rise to lower 70s after a few days of fermentation.
Transfere to secondary with a combination of sweet (black) cheers and sour (Montmorency) cherries, let rest for a month or so.
Add 1 drop (no more) of almond extract for depth and bottle.

(This recipe is a blend of recipes from Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher and Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John J. Palmer)

I brewed it up tonight and it is in the fermenter. It smelled pretty tasty.

It fired up and is bubbling away.

Buying ingredients today and brewing on Wednesday.

You guys want me to send an email to Foam on the Range to see if there's any last minute interest, or would you like to just leave it at three people and worry about more participation for let's say a valentine's day brew?

The quad has hit the required FG. I bottled it this weekend. It turned out really tasty.

PM me if you would like to trade.

Back