looking to add a brown sugar taste to an almond brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

01steve

Reaction score
i have an english brown ale extract recipe. i've added 4 tsp of pure almond extract and i've also used about a lb of clove honey.

the grain bill is really kinda lame w/only one lb briess carmel 60l. the malts are 2lb amber dme and 2.3lb amber lme. hops are 1.5oz williamette.

it's week 3 in the primary i get the almond taste but i'm looking for more of a brown sugar and honey taste to sit behind it. it could also use some darker color (i don't know if there's anything that can change that now).

i now realize that the honey i added to the wort has probably all fermented and will result in a dryer taste-... but i still need something to add to the body of the beer-...

my gf suggested molasses would probably do the trick but i'm affraid of it just further drying out the beer.

what is your input?

should i add it during bottling?

will it create bottle bombs?

IMO, you've gone to far already. Unless you cold crash and force carb. But then you have a whole other host of problems. Next time use some diff specialty malts, like ones that give it more body, such as cara-pils/dextrine.

Just let it be for now. You would be surprised what just carbonation does for the body.

Your best bet is to use dark brown sugar at bottling, but you may need to use a tsp more, because it has more solids than the refined white sugar.

Molasses is a very concentrated flavor. A little bit goes a long ways.

while it is a grain bill, its just steeping grains to give it more flavor. I would bottle with the brown sugar and not add anything more to the primary.

+1 LEAVE IT

Why are you adjusting it before you can taste it?

Let this one go. Adjust next time, but I bet you won't need to.

+1 LEAVE IT

+1

I bet after carbonating and aging for a week or two it will taste fine. Write some notes for the next time and maybe add some brown sugar or molasses when you brew it again if you still feel it's not quite right after it's carbed.

+1 LEAVE IT

This. you don't know what the beer is actually going to be like until it is carbed (and perhaps until it has aged a bit). Adjusting it now is pointless, and may result in you breaking something in an effort to fix an issue that might not exist.

My brown ale tasted...well bad when took OG. was still not at all to my liking at 10 days. I left in primary for 3 weeks and it tasted lots better when I bottled it. After 3 weeks in the bottle I chilled a couple for a few days. Amazing!!! I could not believe it could improve so much.
Listen to these guys when they say leave it alone because they "been there done that" and know what they are talking about. I'm sure glad I listened! :mug:

well i guess i should just leave it-... it seems like the veteran brewers/users all agree that it should be just fine-... i think it'd be just plain foolish to not take their advice. thank you folks!

i guess my thinking was "if the wort tasted amazing then the beer should taste even better". it looks like i'll have to break myself of this thought process.

i'll probably bottle this weekend-... soon enough i'll let you know how this turned out! thanks again!

Back