Checking Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhart94949

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed on Saturday. (O.G=1.060), checked today 1.019, my question is; should I be checking gravity often? Or am I going to jack it up checking it that often.

Yes, when you constantly open your fermentor, the risk of infection goes up each time.

Rule of thumb for most of us on here: 3-4 weeks in primary for anything other than IPAs and Wheats.

I know it can be tough waiting, but your beer will definitely improve with time. I typically let my beers sit for 3 weeks, then I check gravity. I'll let it sit for another 3-4 days, then I'll check it again. If it's good to go, I'll bottle or keg.

I think it depends. If you would like to minimize contamination risks and lost of beer, assuming you are using a hydrometer and bucket, you can wait 10 to 14days to start taking gravity readings to check for a completed fermentation (same gravity 3 samples in a row). From there, you can leave another week or two before bottling or kegging.
Some people have a spigot and refractometer, so contamination is less of a problem and no beer goes to waste, so daily samples from start to end are not a big deal if one likes that type of control.

It is an IPA, I plan on leaving it in the primary another week, then racking to secondary and fry hopping. I just didnt know if it is possible to check tje gravity go much....

You won't harm it, assuming you sanitized the wine thief or turkey baster when you took your sample.

I always think about what I"m going to do about any readings I take. If I'm going to make sure fermentation started, for example, a reading like you took is just fine. If I'm waiting to see if the beer is done, I'll wait a few more days before checking the gravity.

I normally leave the beers in the fermenter for 10-14 days, so unless I"m concerned that there is a problem, I normally don't check the SG unless I'm planning on doing something- packaging, dryhopping, etc.

But you didn't do any harm by checking now! It'll be fine.

I used the spigot on my primary bucket, my secondary is a glass carboy. I just wanted to see where my abv is. I did the 1% booster and it has been 5 days and I am at anout 5.5% abv. The recipe says without the 1% boost I should hit around 6.5%, I am hoping for 7%, but if I am 5 days in and only @ 5.5% do u think I will hit my target of 7%??

Back