Side by side fridge as a fermentation chamber.. Is it a better option than a chest f

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bajabrewer7

Reaction score
Hey you guys, I was about to buy a chest freezer but then I saw a side by side fridge converted to a fermentation chamber, the size of this is obviously greater than a chest freezer, what would you guys recommend? They are both similar in price, what are the pro's and con's of either?

You'd have more floorspace in a chest freezer if you want to ferment multiple brews. If you have a conical or something tall that won't fit in a chest freezer, you might want to go side-by-side, but I personally ferment in my chest freezer and use my side-by-side as a kegerator :)

I suppose you could technically build a shelving system inside the side-by-side in order to fit more fermenting vessels in there, but I would be careful about measuring the inside height to make sure you actually have room to stack them. Don't forget the extra height taken up by the airlocks!

Back