hopped dme??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffie

Reaction score
Sorry but I'm wondering.

What is it hopped with exactly?

What hops are in it?

I went to the company's (Munton's) website to answer that very question. In order to get into the area of the page where they tell you the ingredients, you had to email them to get a password. They never responded to my email.

I wound up making an off-the-cuff brew with some left over ingredients that included the Munton's hopped light spray malt, and I added some Hallertau at 60 mins just to make sure I had a good bittering. Turns out the brew is a little over-hopped but still worth drinking. I have the hangover to prove it.

Raffie said:
Sorry but I'm wondering.

What is it hopped with exactly?

What hops are in it?

1. First off, why concern yourself with it? If I were you, I'd stay away. It's not like hops are expensive or hard to add.
  2. Second, it doesn't matter too much. Bittering hops don't offer much in the way of hop character. And you can rest assured that whatever hops they use in prehopped extract, it's a rather generic variety. Don't expect a lot of hop character from hopped extract...you're primarily just getting the bitterness.
  3. Lastly...stay away from it.
:mug:

Like everything else in this hobby, the actually hops and hopping rate depend on the manufacturer. If it's Munton's, don't expect to get much information. They probably used some form of hop extract, so it wouldn't taste like the original hops anyway.

I used hopped extract once b/c a recipe called for it. I would advise against using it, in part b/c I ran into the very problems you are encountering. There is little info on what hops they use and how much. Plus, since most people feel like I do, who knows how long the stuff has been sitting on the shelf?!

Ya, found it odd, the say its hopped, but not with what hops or how much.
Its that reason I just stayed away from it.

Whats next? 1980's generic lables?
A yellow labeled can with the word HOPS on the side?

Latest posts

Back