Scorched?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Undrtkr_00

Reaction score
OK, first time posting, here.

I just cooked up my first batch of extract last night. I was working off of a Fat Tire clone recipe (HERE) Overall, it seems like things went OK, but the wort is nearly black - far too dark wind up as a coppery, amber beer like Fat Tire. I am wondering if the guy who put together my grain order (at the LBS) screwed up, or if I possibly scorched the DME when I put it in. I realize now that I left the (gas range) burner on while adding the DME, so I could have scorched it, but I actively stirred the whole time, and did not wind up with a lot of stuff stuck to the kettle bottom like I would experience when scorching pasta sauce or milk, etc.

Can anyone tell me how to tell if I have scorched the DME and ruined my beer? The smell definitely has dark edge to it, but not outside of what I might expect from a dark porter or stout (a little nutty, chocolatey, smokey, etc.).

Latest posts

Back