backsweetening help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBV

Reaction score
I am planning on backsweetening my first batch of cider by using aj concentrate. My questions are:
Shoul I just use one can of concentrate to backsweeten? I like a sweet cider such as Hornsby or woodchuck.

Also, after adding the concentrate do I shake it up, stir it, or what before force carbonating? Thanks for the help.

I am planning on backsweetening my first batch of cider by using aj concentrate. My questions are:
Shoul I just use one can of concentrate to backsweeten? I like a sweet cider such as Hornsby or woodchuck.

Also, after adding the concentrate do I shake it up, stir it, or what before force carbonating? Thanks for the help.

I'm on my first batch of cider right now so I can't help on the back sweetening, but I do keg most of my beers. My recommendation would be to add the concentrate to the keg, rack on top, purge, then shake the hell out of the keg. That is my plan anyway, if I can convince SWMBO to let me buy another keg (there all full right now)

I cold crash, rack to keg, add a little concentrate, purge keg, shake, and taste. I add ~1/4 can at a time tasting along the way. You can always add more if you need more sweetness, but the other way around isn't as easy. I like my ciders semi-dry and usually end up adding ~1 can of concentrate for a 5 gal keg. To get the sweetness of a woodchuck or hornsbys I'm guessing you'd need closer to ~2 cans of concentrate.

Latest posts

Back