Fermentables and non-fermentables in liquid malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnduthie

Reaction score
Is it possible that some extract may have a higher percentage of non-fermentable sugars, resulting in a sweeter but less alcoholic beer than orginally planned?

Just wondering as I brewed two seperate beers which both did not attenuate as much as I (and BeerSmith) had expected. Is this because of the extract or just a stuck fermentation?

Could be both. I think the amount of fermentables/unfermentables depends on the style of malt,& it's country of origin. Different grains from different companies/countries as to what there make up is.
Then how well the yeast attenuates will govern this as well. How much yeast is pitched,it's over-all healthy numbers,etc. Some yeasts are bred to give different qualities for attenuation,more maltiness,more hoppiness...

Yes, different extracts have different amount of fermentables. Most are around 75% fermentable (with the average yeast), but something like Laagerlander is only 55% fermentable.

BUT ... you probably want to look more at your yeast and processes. Some yeasts have low attenuation (example; Windsor). Lack of aeration will reduce yeast cell growth resulting in low attenuation. Very low pitch rates can stress out the yeast and result in low attenuation. Low temps can stall yeast. Etc, etc, etc.

Back