The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea that handball I could see from the opposite goal. When they started ggetting chippy and NO cards came out I couldn't belie've it.

Had an interesting conversation with a friend who is a Man U fan. While I'm befuddled about how Wenger could have transferred Robin to Man U (Real or AC, sure, but Man U???)

You can't sell something to someone who doesn't want it to begin with. It is my belief that the Dutch Judas massively misjudged the response he would get when he released his want away statement. I imagine he thought he'd have teams from all over Europe knocking down his door to sign him up.. that wasn't the case. When you have a captain with one year left on his contract who's released a statement saying he disagrees with the way the club is being run and thanks but no thanks for the contract offer, what do you do? Cling on to him hoping he doesn't poison your locker room so he can leave for free next summer, or flog him to the only club interested that had the means to pay for him?

she doesn't like it because she thinks he's soft. What?? Your team just acquired the leading scorer in the Premiership from your rivals and you don't like it???

Of course, he's scored more goals than the entire Arsenal team so far this season . . .

If by soft she means injury prone then yes, she is correct. Last year was his first full season in quite sometime where he hadn't picked up some stupid injury that kept him out for months. The United fans I talk to were more angry that SAF had splashed money on an aging striker rather than sorting out their midfield...

If by soft she means injury prone then yes, she is correct. Last year was his first full season in quite sometime where he hadn't picked up some stupid injury that kept him out for months. The United fans I talk to were more angry that SAF had splashed money on an aging striker rather than sorting out their midfield...

This was a brilliant pickup for Man U. They got the leading goal scorer in the league, from their rivals. And not surprisingly, he's playing pretty damn good for them.

A bunch of golazos this weekend.

Also, did anybody else watch the LAvCOL match? Wilhelmson was definitely a good pickup. He's huge and still has amazing footwork and ball skills.

HoppyDaze said:
Oh my, the Timbers gave up yet another 2 goal lead. Gave up the tying goal in extra time. Sigh...

I watched the whole game, expecting something around a 4-1 loss. Timbers were damned lucky to net two, and the only remarkable thing about the Quakes tying is that they didn't get more. Portland's 3rd string keeper was in total beastmode. Ref also totally lost control once SJ got frustrated.

This was a brilliant pickup for Man U. They got the leading goal scorer in the league, from their rivals. And not surprisingly, he's playing pretty damn good for them.

Yea, with Rooney out they would definitely be in a world of hurt without VP. I still hate the guy, but it's tempered by the fact that the arse are scoring goals again....

Yea, with Rooney out they would definitely be in a world of hurt without VP. I still hate the guy, but it's tempered by the fact that the arse are scoring goals again....

Not as many as it would seem. During their 6-1 tonking of Southampton, my lot scored 3 of the total! :(

roymullins said:
portscum blows...

969638-cool_story__bro_super.jpg

^^^ hahaha I agree with his sentiment but the message has got to be more witty.

This is nice american discussing "soccer" It is great that the most popular and beautiful sport on earth haves fans but ... it´s called football... Even without calling it by it´s real name I got to tell you americans are getting good at this...

This is nice american discussing "soccer" It is great that the most popular and beautiful sport on earth haves fans but ... it´s called football... Even without calling it by it´s real name I got to tell you americans are getting good at this...

I just have to go with my broken-record response to that:

When the official rules of football/soccer and rugby were created it was popular in England to shorten words or phrases. Thus, an easy way of differentiating between the two were to call one "Rugby Football" and the other "Association Football" which was colloquially shortened to "Soccer" using the bolded segment of the word association.

Association Football became widely more popular than Rugby Football and thus because shorted to simply "Football." Us Americans just decided to hold on to the tradition of "Soccer," even though we called it "Football" for the first 50-60 years after it's creation.

I just have to go with my broken-record response to that:

When the official rules of football/soccer and rugby were created it was popular in England to shorten words or phrases. Thus, an easy way of differentiating between the two were to call one "Rugby Football" and the other "Association Football" which was colloquially shortened to "Soccer" using the bolded segment of the word association.

Association Football became widely more popular than Rugby Football and thus because shorted to simply "Football." Us Americans just decided to hold on to the tradition of "Soccer," even though we called it "Football" for the first 50-60 years after it's creation.

A very good explanation but the fact it´s that around the globe (an not only in english) it´s footbal, or futbol in spanish futebol in portugese, probably the only expection that I know it´s calcio in italian, that explains itself for the fact that during Mussolini regime all foreign words were banned, an calcio it was the name of an anciente carnival game similar to football. Long story short I think that a game that it´s played with your feet deserves the name football more than any other.
We call your football football too... yours is American football, and ours just football, I´ll accept that better if instead of soccer you´ll call it... english football, or FIFA football or somehting like that. Soccer seems odd to me but what he heck! ounces pounds and gallons seemed odd for me too and now I´m quite used to them now, maye the samething will happen to me with soccer. So far consider me suscribed to this thread... Ans soccer or football it´s a beautiful sport anyway.
By the way BArcelona just won the sixth game in a row in La liga... things look good for Messi and his crew

Who cares what it's called. Can we get back to Portland playing like a high school jv team.

A very good explanation but the fact it´s that around the globe (an not only in english) it´s footbal, or futbol in spanish futebol in portugese, probably the only expection that I know it´s calcio in italian

Guess again, you regionalist- it's soccer in all of North America and Pacifica.

Guess again, you regionalist- it's soccer in all of North America and Pacifica.

Well if by Pacifica you mean Australasia, I´ll tell you that the FFA it´s been trying to officially rename "soccer" football and will probably do in the next year, football for australian it´s a differente sport. Absolutly valid and understandable but it seems that in every place were "soccer" it´s actually an important sport is called football, is gaining protogonisim in Australia their national teams are getting better and better, same thing with USA, a few years ago (before the world cup 94) USA was not in the map of "soccer" even been one of the countries that played the first world cup. These it´s been changing for the last years, specially in USA, your national teams can actually play the game very good (I´m not familiar with your league) and there is, and there will be a lot more pressure from FIFA to officially change the name... there is no way that a country that plays soccer instead of football is ever going to be able to achieve great things internationally, not because lack of skills I think that just FIFA won´t accept that.

Another thing the North America Confederation it´s the CONCACAF which stands for Confederation Of North, Central America and Caribbean Association FOOTBALL. Note the football an not the soccer. This being said you can call the sport whatever you want. Here I´m "foreign" so from now on I´ll call it soccer, I totally understand the sensitivities and history around the name. I deeply apologize if I bother anyone.

Not that I care much about it, but just to be pedantic, I heard on the radio just a couple of days ago some guy from the Australian S*ccer/football establishment said that in the last few years they have been calling it football. I don't know why they changed, shame. I would have liked to have known!

Another thing the North America Confederation it´s the CONCACAF which stands for Confederation Of North, Central America and Caribbean Association FOOTBALL. Note the football an not the soccer. This being said you can call the sport whatever you want. Here I´m "foreign" so from now on I´ll call it soccer, I totally understand the sensitivities and history around the name. I deeply apologize if I bother anyone.

We are talking about footy, so don't worry if people get a little fluffy over the slightest thing! Welcome to the thread!:mug:

dwarven_stout said:
That, uh, beat and tied both Seattle and SJ. Natch.

That uh is the bottom dweller of the MLS. But hey you wanna hang your hat on one win and two ties I'll let while watching Seattle in the playoffs.

How about Toronto doing what they do best: fail to make the postseason but roll on the international field.

Pre-ordered the digital download off of origin...

I pre-ordered the disk from Origin. Maybe I should have done the digital version. I just tracked the package and its estimated to be delivered to me MONDAY! Its just sitting a few miles down I-5. Probably wont order from Origin again. Game stop has usually had them delivered on the release day. Live and learn.

I pre-ordered the disk from Origin. Maybe I should have done the digital version. I just tracked the package and its estimated to be delivered to me MONDAY! Its just sitting a few miles down I-5. Probably wont order from Origin again. Game stop has usually had them delivered on the release day. Live and learn.

If I have the opportunity to get a digital download I take it. Saves me having to keep track of discs and boxes.

Back