using an electric fryer for partial mash and AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a pretty good deal on an electric turkey fryer. The inside holds 7 galons plus. Does anyone see why this wouldnt make a good set-up for brewing. Becuase the temperature controller you should be able to hold temp for a long time wihtout issue. Once your mash is done, you can raise the temperature to 170 and then lift your grain out with the rack and rinse the grains with water. You then could use the whole thing to boil your wort.

I would use a supplimental thermometer because every few fryers ever have good heat control.

I would also likely insulate the fryer.

I have a charmglow Elec TF. I would think the best approach would be to convert a small cheap cooler to use a a MT. Use the fryer for a HLT and boil kettle.

Or if you want to keep it simple, maybe mash in the fryer w/ a grain bag, and proceed to boil in the fryer. The thermostat on the fryer is not at all accurate and likely cannot be relied on. If mashing in the fryer, you could also try simply wrapping it in a few blankets, or removing the inner pot and placing it in a wram oven to retain heat.

Be warned, the power of these fryers is very limited and it will be slow. You will likely need the lid to reach a boil, and the lid on partially to boil. Not ideal, but it will work IMHO. There is a thread that claimed good results by insulating the outer shell b/w the pot and housing.

Bump

any more ideas?

I say just give it a try. Look up the Brew In a Bag Method and just brew that way in the fryer? A decent thermometer from target should correct the thermostat issue... It is reading SOMETHING, so hopefully it reads the same temp consistently and you can figure out where that falls in reality. A smaller version of this might be a great way to do test batches... hmmm...

I brew in a bag using my electric turkey fryer. I mash in another pot and heat up the sparge water in the fryer. I sparge in the fryer then combine the two in the fryer and boil. I basically follow Deathbrewer's Stovetop All-Grain method. I also use a handheld digital thermometer for my temperature readings.

Back