Can I use a blow torch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umami

Reaction score
I want to caramalize pears with a blowtorch I bought for my wort chiller and dip tubes for my brew tree. (I've got around 6 feet of 1/2" copper left over if anyone has any ideas). My question is this: What grain, yeast and hops would you suggest I bulk buy to make around 50 gallons of pure caramalized pear experimentation on? I've got 100 dollars and austinhomebrew ships for a flat 7$.

I'm a little confused, are you trying to make something like a Perry, or a Pear Cider? Or perhaps something like a Braggot with pears? Maybe i'm just not understanding or reading correctly. My (limited) knowledge of perry is that it requires specific perry pears.

why in the world would you want to make a 50 gallon experiment? :eek:

For caramelizing the pears you could try tossing them on a hot grill, or arrange them on a large baking sheet and put them in the oven. I'd definitely check out some recipes. Check out All Recipes http://allrecipes.com they'll likely have a few basic pointers on it.

Back